𝟒𝟗.

Elijah Pov

.............................................................

I sighed, putting my phone down on the table, and continued staring at the screen. It's been nine months since Rebekah, Cami, Damon, Hope, and Luna left.

In their absence, misery stood in their places.

Misery lived in the walls of the compound now.

I tried contacting Damon and Luna. Damon replied, of course, but Luna didn't, I suppose she was still angry at me. I didn't blame her. According to Damon, Rebekah, and Cami, she wasn't doing so well. Falling apart was my sister's exact words.

Luna would disappear for hours on end. She wouldn't sleep for days upon end. And whenever she did sleep, she would wake up screaming from the grotesque nightmares. She wasn't eating as much as she was supposed to. Damon had said that she had lost weight, so, much so that her cheeks were begging to look hollow and that her ribs were nearly countable. She would cry in the shower. Both Damon and Rebekah would sometimes have to carry her out of the shower, because she wouldn't stop, couldn't.

Niklaus did not know any of those things. If he did I was sure that he would have tried to find her. That couldn't happen. Not until we gained control of things again.

He wasn't himself. He had gone back to his old ways.

Hayley wasn't doing all that well, either. She had lost her sister and her daughter all in the same night. Not to mention her emotions were high-strung. There wasn't much I could do.

I stood up and walked upstairs to Klaus' room. I took my time, thinking about how to approach this.

As I walked closer, I frowned, smelling blood. I opened the door and looked around. Klaus was nowhere to be seen, but bodies were everywhere in the room, completely drained.

I opened the doors to the balcony to find Klaus sitting on the bench. He looked up and hid what looked like a drawing, quickly putting it behind his back, noticing my presence. I wondered who it was. I had a hunch...

"What do you want Elijah, I thought I had asked you to leave me alone," growled Klaus venomously.

I said nothing and twisted my daylight ring around my finger.

"Hayley is spiraling out of control. Why don't you teach her how to control her newfound senses instead of wallowing around in your self-pity."

Klaus stood up and folded his arms. "Hayley is perfectly fine, I took her out the other day, and she was smiling." I scoffed, "You took her out to murder witches." Klaus raised his eyebrows, wearing a slight smirk on his face, "And....your point is."

"My point is, it's not her, and this isn't you. I know both of you lost something, but they won't get to come back if we don't find him."

Klaus' frown only seemed to increase.

"That is exactly, what Mikeal wants. He is waiting out there for me. I refuse to let Hayley and myself get killed because we rushed and didn't think everything through."

I looked up at him, and he glared at me. "It's been nine months." Klaus turned away from me and put his hands on the top of the railing.

"Things like this take time."

I walked over to join him. "Possibly, but you are not trying at all." That was all it took, and Klaus snapped, he snapped easily these days.

I know it was because of Luna's absence. She was the only thing that quarreled his rage. Forget speaking all she had to do was look at him.

He pushed me up against the wall so hard I heard it crack, it would need repairing. "You don't think I'm trying. You're bloody blind, I am trying to keep everything together. To keep myself together."

He lowered me down and went back into his room. Stepping over the maze of bodies. I followed him, he poured himself a glass of bourbon.

"Look at yourself, you're falling apart." Klaus sighed and set the drink down.

"Brother, how would you act if Hayley had died? I am pretty sure that you wouldn't be prancing around."

"Luna is not dead, she is very much alive the last time I heard. And I never said you had to prance around."

Klaus shook his head, "It doesn't seem like it, I miss her every day. I can't stand it, Elijah. She probably hates me. It's hard being away from Hope, how can I be a good father when she is thousands of miles away from me?"

I sighed, putting my hand on his shoulder. He tensed up. "Niklaus, I know this is hard, but it's hard on her too," I said, referring to Hayley. Klaus looked down, but I detected guilt in his eyes.

"Alright, but let me get this room cleaned up first, then I will take Hayley out to the bayou, and we'll have a lesson about control and other things."

I nodded and walked out of the room happy that I had accomplished something. It might have been a small something, but at least it was better than nothing.

Maybe all was not, lost after all.

There was hope...