𝟑𝟒.

Luna Pov

.............................................................

It's been a month since I've gone without seeing Klaus. It wasn't his fault, of course, we talked on the phone when we could, but it wasn't the same as in person.

Over the phone, there was no eye contact, no touching foreheads, hand-holding, hugging, or caressing.

I think that I was slowly chipping away at the edges. I felt deprived, emotionally cold, and miserable if I was being honest. Hayley thought I was overreacting, but I knew she missed Elijah almost as much as I missed Klaus.

She wasn't good at hiding her feelings when it came to the elegantly dressed Mikaelson.

There was just this emptiness in my chest. Every wolf in the world seemed to have an interest in seeing me. I didn't understand why I thought that I was nothing special, but they seemed to think otherwise.

If I would have said that to Klaus he would have said I was wrong. That I was special. I wanted him to tell me how special and important I was to him. When he said things like that I really did feel special...

The day after Hayley and I arrived, there was trouble discussing the alpha and beta positions. I told them all that Hayley should be their queen/alpha since she was older and was experienced, in things that I would not.

After some talking, she and Jackson decided that I would be beta. I was confused, and I thought that there were going to be some major problems, but everyone seemed to be pretty chill with it. Except for Oliver, but everyone ignores him.

There was a prophecy out there that said I was the alpha of all wolves. I didn't want to be what someone else wrote me to be. I didn't want to control anyone or anything. I didn't necessarily want to be a follower or a leader.

I just decided to go with the flow and hide how I really felt about things.

It was hard not seeing the Mikaelsons. I considered them to be my family, and they did too.

I don't know how I got through it all the days and weeks. It felt strange but natural being around the pack. Some of them were friendly, and others were silent. Apparently, they were scared of me because of my witch side. I didn't push in spite of what Hayley said to me the other day.

Mosquitoes were a pain. The spiders that came into the cabin were worse.

The heat was another problem.

Some days Hayley had to sit in the cabin so she could stay cool. I didn't know how she was doing this. I mean being pregnant and having a high temperature, sitting in a cabin trying to cool down all day. Eve was helping Hayley with pregnancy exercises. Eve had told Hayley that she couldn't have an epidural and that she would have a natural birth instead. I shuddered at the thought of that. It seemed painful enough, but I hoped we would be back at the compound to do it where they had air conditioning. I was pretty sure that Klaus would not let his daughter be born in the bayou.

I don't think she likes me very much, but I didn't let it bother me. I didn't need her, Mary, or Oliver I had all I needed with the Mikaelsons.

I wore shorts and tank tops since nothing else seemed bearable.

When I wasn't comforting and talking to Hayley, I was with Aiden or Jake.

Jake showed me his favorite part of the bayou. The first time he showed me, I was surprised to see a huge tall weeping willow surrounded by a field of small flowers.

I spent the afternoons and evenings with Jake in the tree.

We talked about the ball that was coming up, but I still didn't know who I was going with. If it weren't for Genevieve, Klaus, and I would obviously be going.

But unfortunately, Genevieve was still breathing.

Cami came when she could because the humans and werewolves were now after her. Since I had a place of authority in the pack, I sent/asked nicely for them to go protect her and be a lookout.

I sighed and looked up at the sky. My head was laying on his leg and he was talking about something.

Every so often, I would smile and nod occasionally, showing him that I was still listening.

In my head, I was thinking about Klaus and about how unhinged things had become since I had left. I wasn't trying to be mean or rude, but I truly couldn't help it my mind just always drifted to him, like a reflex.

I didn't think I would be able to last another day without being graced by his presence which made me feel not only safe, but warm, and protected.