@CatC171

Contest: Cleaved Awards

placement: 1st place.

So much. It's honestly hard to put it into words! To know my idea has blossomed from a "what if" thought I had one afternoon into something so many people are drawn to is such a great feeling. I really appreciate those that have helped it get to where it is today.

What is your favourite thing about Wattpad?

It's a great, diverse place. There is a really nice community here and it's such an active place: there's always a contest to enter or a new book to dive into.

What's the best way to enjoy a rainy day?

I guess it depends on the type of rain! Slight, drizzly rain makes for perfect walking weather and I love to spend an afternoon walking in the woods. However, when it's really coming down I love to hunker down with a hot drink, a blanket and either have a good day writing or listening to the rain outside.

If you could hang out with your favourite celebrity for a day, who would you choose and what would you do?

I'm not sure if he counts as a celebrity, but I'd love to spend time with the game director Hideo Kojima. He's a phenomenal story teller and fully understands the medium he's working in. I aspire to tell stories with the same finesse as him. I guess I'd like to tour his studios with him and watch movies.

Are you still surprised when you get a new vote, follow or comment?

Every time. I read every single one. Every new follower I take a look at their profile and the kind of books they like to write. It's a great way to discover new stories.

What's one Wattpad goal?

Recognition would be, of course, a great goal. I would love to be able to support myself with my writing one day.

What's your favourite holiday and why?

A few years ago I spent a long weekend in Copenhagen, Denmark and it was my first taste of Scandinavia. I fell in love with the city and its people. I have also always loved mermaids so to see her statue in Copenhagen harbor was a great highlight of the trip.

What's your favourite snack?

Sushi for sure! It has everything I like and it fills you up without being too heavy.

What's your dream vacation?

Japan would be amazing. It's always been on my vacation radar and to actually see it and try my favourite foods would be heaven.

What's your schedule regarding your writing?

I wake up early. Always have and always will. Mornings are my most productive times. I have a writing desk but I rarely use it, instead I like settling down in my living room with the TV on low for company and a hot cup of tea by my side. I try to write between one and two thousand words a day.

What's a good piece of advice for a newcomer?

Get involved! Say hello on the forums, get stuck into competitions, find a book club to join. Networking is invaluable on Wattpad.

How would you celebrate a publishing deal?

I'd probably want to do the thing Formula 1 winners do and spray champagne over everything: but I'm a huge fan of sparkling wine and I don't think I could justify wasting so much delicious drink! I'd probably just do the sensible thing and toast it, ultimately.

Request time!

It's probably only appropriate to give this free plug to the story that earned me this interview.

"Inverted" was an unexpected triumph of a story I dreamed up one afternoon: why is it when people get possessed in stories, the language barrier is never a problem? I wanted to explore the frustrations of being trapped in a foreign world and a foreign environment with no way to express yourself. Not only that, but the protagonist, Ash's body seems to be changing and he can't even tell the thing that's changing it to cease. The core idea was relationships, especially ones that are made without a common tongue.