42. First Email - Dec 1998

First Email

December 1, 1998

Dear Dad,

This is my first email to you! Where is India and where is America? It seems that the distance is only in our own heads, but not in reality, for, how can information get from one place to another in an instant?!

Do you know how I'm sending this? First I write on the computer, in Microsoft Word. Then I copy on a floppy disk and it with any Ashramite who is going to the town of Kakinada, two hours away from here (buy bus). They go to the house of our friend Naresh, who has a computer with email. No, there’s no email in Kakinada! He has to send the matter (via computer) to Vijayawada, which is an 8-hour trip from Kakinada. From there the email is sent to Chennai, another few hours away, and finally from there it goes to American direct! When an email comes for me, they copy it on a floppy and send it by bus to the ashram. Anyway, I have faith that some day or the other we will get a direct connection.

Now the weather here has turned freezing cold beyond measure! We are shivering away - I don't know what to do. I am already using all the coverings I own at night: the socks and turtle-neck sweater you sent long ago, a choli-sweater, a head-covering – seeing that, my friends here are calling me ‘old lady’! – three thin sheets on the straw mat and one blanket and one thick woolen blanket to cover with.

I'm sure the temperature must be dropping nearly to 70 degrees at nights! BRRRR! And it isn’t even December yet! I dread to think what will happen next. Wonder where Global Warming went to? It is certainly not here in Shanti Ashram. I must write to the scientists who seem so eager to stop use of chemicals damaging the ozone layer. They are, in their enthusiasm, bringing on another ice age, I'm sure. And this time there are no dinosaurs to perish, only us! BRRRR.

Love,

Divya

_________________

See You Soon!

December 18, 1998

Dear Parents,

Om Namo Narayanaya! Sai Ram. Namaskars. Happy to receive your kind letter dated 14th. It arrived here on that day only, as someone came from Kakinada that day. Funny that parents think children get sick! By Swami’s compassionate Grace I have been just fine thank you, not even suffering from the aches and pains that come to Susheela (age 38) and the worker girl Kumari (age 20). Just small allergy-sniffles (very slight) when the cold winds blow on me!

Glad to hear you’re both so clever with computers! I am just a baby in comparison, with no books and no one to consult with. Here there is absolutely no one competent to do anything. The only choice is to lug the computer to Kakinada (transporting it on a rickety village bus) and pay the high rates of the semi-educated computer enthusiasts there, to repair or install things. (Who but simple villagers would choose to settle in the small backward town of Kakinada?)

Never mind Mom, about coming to Shanti Ashram; like you said, you might feel bad for missing Darshan. Not only that, the travel would affect you and people here would grab you and make you talk. You would have to smile a lot and talk sweetly all day. I know Dad likes all that, and I can bear it for those few short days. Of course the people might feel bad you didn’t come, but we’ll promise you’ll come another time. So please don’t feel bad.

I end with loving CHRISTMAS GREETINGS and NEW YEAR’S BEST WISHES, to both of you and Sis & Brother also. See you soon!

Love,

Divya