Chapter 32: In The Air pt 2

I looked at the time and it was time to start wrapping this party up. "Time to cut the cake" I yelled. I placed the sheet cake in the middle of the table.

"I need a lighter" I said. "Here" Rashad said handing me one from out of his pocket. All the kids made their way to the party room it was about 20 of them. Makai ran up last sitting in his chair. "Ooohhh look at this" he said. I smiled placing his birthday hat on him like I did when he was 2 getting me all emotional like always. We began singing happy birthday while Tyriq was snapping pictures.

Rashad

We sung happy birthday to him the more I looked around and the energy was bad. The energy was bad between us two and I could feel the awkwardness between Tionne and her mom. I had no idea what was going on but I was a little curious. We watched him close his eyes making his wish. He opened his eyes blowing his candles.

"Woohh"

"What was your wish? I asked. "Dad and mom you know what my wish was" he said. We both looked away acting like he didn't bring it up.

Tionne

Everyone sat around enjoying the cake. I on the other hand was exhausted and burnout I didn't even have an appetite to eat or try the cake I ordered.

"Before you know it, he'll be in high school" Rashad said. "And what high school are you attending young man" My aunt asked.

"Overbrook" Rashad said cutting her off. "Actually wherever Kai decides he wants to attend" I chimed in.

Rashad rolled his eyes giving me the whatever look but it really is Makai's decision. Of course Overbrook is his zone school but if he wants to go to a musical arts school or a trade high school he can.

"And colleges? She asked. "I don't know yet; I'm going on a college tour soon though" he explained.

"Preferably a HBCU... if he's lucky enough he'll go pro right after high school" He said

I rolled my eyes grabbing some of the finished plates. I was so tired of hearing pro basketball in my head it was driving me crazy. "Time to open gifts" I said

I walked over to where his gifts were handing him my special gift. "Open mine first Kai" Kari said jumping in front of me. "Okay fine" I chuckled standing to the side. "Thanks auntie" he said taking the bag.

He unwrapped the paper taking out what looked like a book. The look on Kai's face was hilarious. "Umm thanks Aunt Kari, I'll be reading this" he said. It was letter to a young man by Hill Harper.

"Yessss reading is fundamental" I said. "Ummhmm there's more to life than basketball" she eyed Rashad. I ran my fingers through my hair something I do when I become stressed. I just knew this night was going left. I handed him my gift watching him excitedly rip off the gift wrapping paper.

"Oohhhhh nice" he said. "A camera, that's nice" Rashad said. "I just thought you could tap into something else on the side" I said. "And the pictures go straight to your smartphone" I explained. I glanced over to see my mother talking out the side of her mouth like she always does and I was sick of it.

"Someone needs to have a photo-shoot" Kari joined. Rashad handed Kai and envelope, I watched him open it taking out two tickets. Kai's eyes widened as he jumped on his father. "Oh my gosh I'm going to the Laker's game" he yelled.

"Yeah" Rashad laughed. "Thanks dad, you're the best. This is the best birthday gift ever" he screamed.

"Not just yet, here's one more give" he said handing him a huge gift. I crossed my arms, I already knew what it was. It was a smart TV that I told Rashad he didn't need. He's becoming spoiled and that just added on to it.