Chapter 11: Regretful

Rashad

I was in the market getting some groceries for her house. It's a lot of things that she eats that I don't eat and I'm tired of figuring out how I'm going to survive in there. All I could think about was the other night my back was a little sore from that fight the other night. I don't even know why I put myself in that predicament or even fought that guy. Seems like ever since we did this project things are starting to get messy. Tionne is walking around with an attitude and I have no idea why. Makai is sprinting around happy as hell forgetting that this would soon be over and I'm getting a little frustrated not being to be with my girl and her not being able to be with me not to mention her baby father is living with her as well. I swear he's a dead man if he touches her. I heard my phone ring I looked at the screen to see Makai.

"Yes" I said

"Dad can you get me some sunflower seeds and honey buns? He begged. "Seeds you don't need to be eating those plus your try out is today" I said. "Come on dad plus ma didn't get me any snacks" he said.

"Your mom has been slacking I see" I said. "Yeah dad all we have in the frig is old people food" he said. I laughed "Text me what else you want and I'll get it for you " I said

"Yesss" he said excitedly hanging up. I stood around waiting for him to text me when I saw a white man eying me in the dairy aisle. I hated people that stared so I looked completely at him. I squinted my eyes watching him walk up to me.

"I'm sorry if I'm glancing a little too hard but you look awfully familiar" he said. I stared at him too, then my memory came all the way back.

"Rashad Smith, Number 8 at Overbrook high school. The best offensive player, with the best court vision" he said. It was nice being reminded of how good I was.

"Ha! Nice seeing you Robert? I asked. "Yes Robert Venilli" he reminded me. He wanted to draft me in the NBA's but once he found out I was going to be a father the opportunity was over with.

"Man oh man those were the good times" he chuckled. "Yea it was when I was 17 -18 years old but those days are over" I said.

"It was nice meeting you" I said walking off. "Rashad wait? He begged. I was a little curious as to why he was holding me up. What does he want from me?

"How's your family? He asked. "Were fine, my son's mother is in college getting her degree, my son Makai is 10 going on 11 and I'm a coach at Overbrook" I said

"Wow, I bet your son is a you in the making" he said. "You know it, he's great maybe better than me" I said.

"You know I never really liked how everything went down that day" he said.

"Yeah me too, I wish I could've done a lot of things differently but I don't regret my child" I said

"Of course not, I'm out here looking for talent you know. Just umm take my card and give me a call" he said. I looked at him confused slowly taking it.

--------------------

All I was thinking about was Robert giving me his business card. What did he want from me? Was he offering me a position a deal something? I stood there blanked out until I felt myself being bumped by Tionne.

"Excuse you" I said. "You're excused" she mumbled walking over to the stove. I looked at the time it was 4pm. His tryout starts at 6. I watched her cook whatever she was cooking moping around with an attitude. Tionne and I barely fought or had a disagreement so this was kind of weird.

"What's your problem? I asked. "Nothing" she said. I felt Makai march downstairs seems like he always came down or left at the right time which seemed awkward.