Chapter 28: Baggage

Flashback

I ran in the gym throwing my bag on the floor. All of my team members were already warming up, I was an hour late to practice because I was coming from a doctor's appointment with Tionne and her mom. This whole situation was so stressful but by the way my coach was looking at me, I could tell he knew what was up. Coach Anderson thought he knew everything he was so strict on us felt like we were walking on eggshells every time we had practice. That's one of the reasons why our team never lost a game.

"Sorry coach" I said out of breath. "Your late, an hour and five minutes late" he said. "Something uh came up" I said.

"Have a seat Smith" he said blowing his whistle. "Boys... I need to huddle over" he said. He looked over at me then back at them. "You all know were a family right? He asked.

"Right? He asked.

"Right" they said in unison. "Rashad has something to share with you all" he said. I looked over at him in shock. I felt betrayed and singled out. Why would he put me out there like that? Some people knew and some didn't and I wanted to keep it that way.

"No I don't" I said.

"Yo we already know your having a baby on the way" Marcus added. He was one of the few guys I liked.

I hopped off the bench. "You serious coach? I snapped. "Yes I'm serious, I'm tired of you walking around missing practice, missing games because you can't be upfront about it" he said pulling me to the side. Who the fuck did this white man think he was? He just crossed the line and there was no coming back from that. Fuck this team and fuck him.

"That was not your place to put me on the spot like that. If I wanted everybody to know they would know" I said.

"I don't care Rashad you should know me by know your problems are our problems... look at you throwing your life away. Only 18 and your about to be a father something you know nothing about" he argued

"Fuck it! He's here now coach. What the fuck do you want me to do huhh? Shit happens.. and she's not getting an abortion" I said

"Of course she isn't ... I'm disappointed in you Rashad. You have your whole life ahead of you and your gonna just throw it away just like that" he said

"People have kids at a young age all the time" I said.

"Hmmm well I guess you have no problem with being a stereotype" he said

"This not even about the baby, your only mad I miss a few games and practices is because you know I'm the best player on this team. I'm the damn glue that puts this team together. What your little black star hasn't been showing up and you don't know what to do with yourself? I snapped.

He laughed crossing his arms "Your right you are my best player but you know what if you thought about going pro in a few months you can forget about that... I mean what am I going to tell Robert huh? That you knocked up and underage girl.

"Were only two years apart" I yelled. "She's not legal though. how could you be so irresponsible? Haven't I told you boys to cover up. Didn't you talk about getting your family out the hood. How are we gonna do that now?

I began fuming hard with tears coming down my eyes. "My god you'll be selling drugs next" he said

"Shut up coach" I yelled pushing him. "Whoa whoaa " My friend came over getting in between us

"You don't know shit man, Imma be a great father. I'm never gonna be in these streets since you feel like I'm a disgrace I'll take my disgraceful ass off the team. You fucking figure out how were gonna win the next game" I yelled