Chapter 12: Double Standards

Rashad

We were in the kitchen as usual about to have breakfast and I couldn't even lie this whole family hanging out thing wasn't bad at all. I always got along with Tionne but it was just best for us to co-parent. I wasn't ready to settle down at 21 while she was 18. I had my life to live and I wanted to mess with as many broads as I could. That phase was over though now I'm just worried about Angel and I are we really going to make it and settle down possibly get married even though. I'm not interested in marriage; I think it's unnecessary all the hype all the money spent just for you to possibly get a divorce. Anyways I was still feeling bad for what I said yesterday to her. I know she can easily brush things off but what I said was foul and I don't know its just like she was telling me about myself and it just went left.

"Finally you making something new" I said. She stopped what she was doing turning around. "You know what? How about you cook since you got so much to say" she said shoving me the eggs and pack of bacon. "Ard, I got it" I said.

"Thankyou and FYI I know you were nibbling on the food I made the other night that you claimed was so nasty. You left the evidence" She said rolling her eyes.

"You got me, it was good" I admitted. "I know it was, you need to just stop coming for my cooking skills and realize that I know what I'm doing" She said.

"You know what you doing? I asked. "Yeah I know what I'm doing" she said. Makai finally came down and I watched him greet her first. He was sleep when I tried to talk to him so I know he probably would be hesitant to say something to me.

Tionne

I watched my baby make his way to the kitchen and he looked so exhausted and trained. I know how it feels to be in school for 8 hours and to make time for homework and extra current activities. I always hated the school system the hours were to damn long and have the things that our children learn have nothing to do with the real world.

"Hey baby" I smiled while he wrapped his arms around me like a baby. "Hey ma" he mumbled tiredly. He always fronts like he doesn't want his motherly attention. I lifted his head up "You know I'm proud of you right" I said kissing his forehead

"Mmhmm" he mumbled. "I'm going always be proud of you no matter what right? I asked.

"Right" he said letting go off me. "H-hey dad" he said sitting down. "Wassup baby boy" he said. I crossed my arms looking at Rashad waiting for him to apologize. I faked coughed getting his attention.

"I'm sorry for being hard on you the other night son. I just want you to be great that's all and if you really don't want to do this whole basketball thing I completely understand " he said. I began to laugh because that whole last sentence was a lie. Rashad knows damn well he'd be upset if Kai didn't pursue basketball.

"Mmhm" I said

"Okay I would try to understand" he said as we both began to laugh. "And Shad this will humble him. You didn't win all your games at Overbrook either so yea" I said

"Your right" He said taking the bacon off the pan. "Ouchhhhhh "He whined rubbing his back. "You okay honey? I asked

"My back is killing me" he said. "Okay once you eat, you can take a pain killer" I said. "Matter of fact you don't have to go to school today" I said

"What? Rashad said.

"Yesssssss" Makai said. "I'm going back to sleep" he said running upstairs.