Come over

Rainie
January 21. 2016
Chapter 7

" On behalf of the staff here at Major Funeral Home, and the Gibbs family. We would like to thank you for attending the services of Emily.  The family would like to invite you to Wing Stop for the repast. And to the Gibbs family if there is anything else you need please don't hesitate to call," I said.

I walked up to Ms. Gibbs widow and gave her a hug.  I mostly do a lot of LGBT and Veterans service. I feel like that part of the community gets not as good service as they could by doing there services and doing it well I pull in wide range of diversity. 

After I gave her the bag with all of the stuff she needed and the extra obits, I walked back and hopped into the all Gunmetal grey 2013 Lincoln hearse.  This was my baby. It cost a lot of money and it took me a couple of years to talk my pops into buying it. We need a new one anyway. I drove around and parked the hearse in a spot that I probably shouldn't park in.  I hopped out and made my way into the cemetery office.

"Oh Gigi!" I sung out as I sat on the desk.

"Rain. Girl get yo semi light bright ass off this counter," she said as she pushed me off the counter.

I laughed and handed her the slip of paper.

"Dang Gigi you suppose to love me," I said.

She laughed.

"I've known you since I started working here back in 05. When you was walking in behind yo pop's and trying to get my number," she said and laughed.

"Well I am still trying," I told her.

She looked at me and shook her head. GiGi was only a couple years older than me. She straight as hell too. Got like 3 kids and shit. I mean she was cute but I am not trying to play house with nobody. I just like to fuck with her.

"Good bye Rain!" she said as she started to walk away from me.

"Love you too GiGi," I said.

"Girl when you gonna let her hit that?" Jean said.

"One day maybe," I heard her say and laugh as I made my way out of the office.

I chuckled and pulled my hat lower over my ears as I made my way to my car for the evening. Me and Gigi would never happen. I got in and plugged my phone up to the AUX cord and started to blast my future wife. Andra Day Rearview, I pulled out of Sunny Mellows Cemetery and cruised slowly down one of the many suburban areas of Chicago.

I looked over at the time on the dash and saw that it was only 2.  I had a arrangement a 4:30 so that gave me enough time to eat. I was also grateful Kim my funeral director buddy was back and was gonna take call for me.

Kimberly was cool as shit. She is a white girl about 5'5 blue eyes and brownish goldish hair.She is bit hood too, but that's probably because she hangs out with She only dated black guys, which I thought was funny.  I loved her we got along great and it was nice to have somebody to talk about the stuff we see to with.  Most people wouldn't understand so we had to make sure families weren't around to hear us.

I looked down at my phone to see Jamila Rose had texted me. I smiled and read the message.

' J. Rose'
    Want to go to the club tonight?

I licked my lips and thought about it. I kinda just want to sleep. I texted her back and told her naw but maybe this weekend.  I pulled up to my job and backed the hearse up into the garage.

"Rain yo 4:30  called and wants to know if they can come in tomorrow. They are waiting on some more family to come in," Laura said.

"Yeah that's fine," I said as I handed her the keys to the hearse.

I watched as she put them up and I slipped off my jacket and placed it on one of the chairs in the office.

"Rain you gonna have to hire some help soon. This is a lot of work for just you and Kimmy," She said as I sat down.

"I know can you call up a couple of colleges and tell them I'm looking for a student worker and a intern?" I asked her as I let my legs stretch out in front of my body.

"I sure can," Laura  said.

I felt my phone vibrate and I took it off my belt clip. I looked down at the message from Ms. Rose.

' J Rose.'

Well how about you come through to my spot? You can bring yo friends too.

I licked my lips and wonder how that would go. I think Nora is back in she is in making money. She not gonna come in till late tonight, I'm sure Miguel is down. He probably gonna interrogate Jamila.  I texted her back saying that was coo' she told me to come over around 7.

"Hey  Stormy you want to embalm this guy or you want me to do it?" Kim asked me as she came skipping into the room.

"I'll do it," I said and laughed at her.

" Okay well you go do that and I'll go run and get these DC's and lunch," she said as she grabbed the keys to the 2012 gun metal grey Ford Taurus.

We have a nice fleet of vehicles. All grey everything with black rims. That was my pops favorite colors so he ran with it. We had three hearses, three limos, a lead car, two removal vans and a car we ran around in for errands.  The trick is to get older cars that look nice but don't cost to much. You just add what you need and take away what you don't. Also pay for it in cash. That way you don't have to worry about car notes and shit.

"Welp. I'm going to get to work. If anything happens..."

"Call Kimmy," Laura said and laughed.

I laughed and nodded my head as I made my way down stairs to the prep room. I took out my phone and hooked it up to the Bluetooth speaker and blasted some Afro House music to get me to wake up. I placed my phone in my pocket and grabbed my scrub pants and placed them over my dress pants. I took off my shoes and put on a pair of old dirty ass black ones. I grabbed and gown and placed that over my white shirt. I finished putting on all the correct protective gear I was taught to put on by my pops. Which wasn't much. All that stuff they want you to wear gets hot as hell. I placed my safety glasses on and began to un tie the sheets from around Mr. Jameson.  I sighed and looked down at him.

"Sir please don't give me a hard time. I would like to go home and sleep," I told him.

I went over to my drawer and grabbed a razor and shaving cream. Some ligature and an s-curve needle and some eye caps. As I began my hour long process of making this man look like he was taking a nap.

I said a little prayer that everything would go smoothly before I started my work.
I felt my back start to tense up and relax. Another long day of serving families that have served us. I loved it.