Prologue

December 14, 2000

Tionne

I waited patiently for my baby sister Tori to get dressed, to be in 9th grade she was so concerned about what she was wearing. "How does this look? She asked

I rolled my eyes "Girl its just a high school game, no one cares plus don't nobody wanna see you" I said

"Actually they do" she said. She was right we both attended Overbrook high school in West Philadelphia. I was in the 11th grade and she was in the 9th. I hated this school, I couldn't wait to graduate and go to Howard University. "What the hell is taking ya'll so long? Takari said walking in.

"The game starts at 7" she argued. My older sister Takari graduated from Overbrook last year and is now a freshman at Morgan State. She's out of school for winter break and still likes to go to our school events. Once my sister was finished we finally made our way to the car. "You know Rashad is finally off crutches and is playing tonight? Tori said from the backseat.

"Oh that's cool I guess" I said. Rashad Smith was one of the best basketball players in our school. He had all the girls all over him, he was cute and all but I wasn't on the bandwagon. I mean these girls would plan on sleeping with him after every homecoming and I thought that was so weird. We finally sat down on the bleachers. Watching the cheerleaders do their thing. Shortly the basketball players came out shaking hands, and there he was number 4 making his grand entrance. The game began against us vs West Philly High. I honestly couldn't describe what was going on. I never been good with basketball all I know is who's winning and what side of the hoop is the teams. 45 minutes into the game and I could feel Rashad and the other player make their way towards me trying to get the ball. The ball ended up flying beside me on the bleacher. I picked it up handing it to him, he stared for a second, winked and then went back to the court.

"Bitchhhhh do you not see his caramel ass stare you down" My best friend Victoria said pushing my shoulder. "Yeah, I saw" I smirked. Deep down inside I did think he was cute and was shocked.

That Next Afternoon

School was over and I was more than happy Mr. Cobs biology class was for the birds. I grabbed my books leaving the classroom. It sucked not having any of my friends in my class. I was beginning to look like a loner going from class to class. I unlocked my combination lock at this school these niggas liked to steal. They didn't give 0 fucks on when or how you got something. I opened my locker placing my books in my bag and grabbing my keys. I quickly closed the door and was startled when he was right next to my locker.

"Scared you" he said.

"Uh yeah you did" I said fixing myself. "Wassup with you? He asked sucking on his lollipop. I looked him up and down staring at his muscles pop out of his jersey.

"I'm good how are you? I asked. "Why you so quiet? He asked. "Whatchu mean? I asked

"I mean, I be seeing you everyday and you be quiet , you're a brook sister right? He asked

"Yea plus I just be on a mission. If you don't speak to me, you wont get spoken to" I said beginning to walk. "Ummm I hear that, well since we're speaking. I wanted to know if we could hang sometimes" he said.

I was flattered and butterflies were running through my stomach. Him? Rashad Smith wanted to talk to little ole me or was he just playing games. I know he was a player.

"Sure" I said. Handing him my blackberry as we exchanged numbers. "

"You don't sound too sure, second thoughts already" he said

"No I'm just a little shocked I guess, wouldn't expect you to take interest that's all" I said

"Well if your thinking what I think you're thinking. I'm not that guy.... I'll text you later cutie" he smirked caressing my chin before he walked away.

10 years later.

I stood in the kitchen figuring out. What I was going to cook this little boy. Seems like yesterday I was having him at 17 scared out of my mind. Now he's 10 and growing up before my own eyes. My son Machai is my everything he grew me into the woman I am today. We basically grew up together so our bond is unbreakable same goes for his dad. When I met Rashad I was a little girl only 16 years getting the groove of things then I fell in love with him because he was so smooth despite his reputation in high school. Every girl wanted him but I had him, too bad I got pregnant and almost missed out on prom. I wasn't able to go off to college like him. I had a child to raise. My dreams were to go to Howard University and to become a model while Rashad although loosing his NBA opportunity went to Lincoln to major in sports therapy and also pledging a fraternity. Now he's a coach at our high school and an ambassador for Under armor. Me on the other hand I'm a hairstylist at my homegirls shop called Lux hair and also attend Cheyney University for business. I've been saving my money hopefully opening my own business in a year or so. I wanted to own a hair and nail salon. Although I had many setbacks in my life I wouldn't change having my son for the world.

I finally decided what I was going to cook. Some spaghetti, Rashad has Machai on a carb diet he wants him to gain weight because he is a twig and for him to follow behind his steps to be a basketball star. Sometimes I feel like he puts a lot of pressure on our son but I know he only wants the best for him. I heard the door open and I knew that was them. Rashad picks him up from school everyday and makes him practice. Machai came in

"Wassup ma" he said kissing my cheek as he walked to the fridge. "Hey baby how was school? I asked.

"Ma I told you stop calling me that all those baby names" he whined. "What you are my baby, my little chocolate dumpling" I chuckled pinching his cheek.

"Yeah quit with all those baby names, you'll make a punk out of him" Rashad said walking in. "Whaaatt?

"I'm just playing, was sup Te Te" he said kissing my cheek. "Nothing loser" I said. Rashad and I had a pretty good relationship, we barely argue and we have zero drama. He has a girlfriend and I have a boyfriend and were still tight. The only problem I have with Shad is that he sometimes forgets that our son came out my vagina. He has so much ownership over him like I have no say so and he jokes around a little too much but I've gotten used to it.

"Ma dad said I can have pizza" he said. "What I was making spaghetti" I said.

"Well just stop making it, plus you make that shit every other day. Nigga aint never witness what other food is" he laughed.

"How bout you shut up and actually cook something instead of having Ms. chipotle make you rice and beans everyday" I said. He began to laugh "Whatever chipotle is addicting unlike chef Boyardee" he said.

"Get out of my house" I said turning off my stove. I'll just eat my spaghetti by my damn self. "We'll be back okay" he said

"Okay" I said.

"Bye ma see ya later" he said. "Bye honey" I smiled watching them close the door. I grabbed my bottle of wine from the cabinet pouring it in a glass. Finals were around the corner and I needed a little buzz. I called my boyfriend Davon hoping he would answer he was on a business trip. He's actually been helping me start my business and getting it together. We met one night when I was leaving work he was also leaving the barbershop. We vibe and ever since we've been together almost two years in may. His phone went straight to voicemail I looked at the time it was only 6pm he told me around that time he would be finished everything. I called again but his phone went straight to voice mail. I sent him a text telling him to call me and brushed it off. I had an online class I had to get to.

Tell me what you think.