The Talent Show (Frank's POV) 16 y/o

This was the day everyone's been waiting for. We were transferred from our small school to a much larger school for a larger scale production. Every kid from school was going to be there. Everyone was buzzing with excitement.

The performers were nervous as their breakfast stirred in their stomachs, threatening to come up. The five of us finally got to the registration table after being behind several people.

What, was this battle of the bands? No, actually. It was a talent show with everyone in this province or Jersey. So many talented people were performing today. I was greatly anticipating it.

"We're Frank, Gerard, Mikey, Bob, and Ray. We're here to sign in", I piped to the lady who quickly checked off all of our names.

"Band name?" she asked.

We were put on the spot. We didn't know we needed that. We began to huddle and nervously spit out names.

"What about that band name we had as children? The one Mikey came up with?" Ray suggested.

"Yeah, Our Chemical Romance was it?" Bob clarified.

Mikey nodded nervously.

"How about My Chemical Romance?" Gerard suggested. "To keep Our Chemical Romance a child thing".

"I'm down", I shrugged.

"Same", everyone else muttered.

"Okay, we're My Chemical Romance", Ray told the lady.

She wrote it down and gave us a number.

"You're the last ones to perform. Good luck", she raised her eyebrows.

We shouldn't have spent time getting milkshakes at the schools concession before coming here. Now we're last. Everyone will be bored out of their minds. This won't even be fun anymore.

No one will jump around, singing along. They'll all be ready to go home.

Ray stayed optimistic, however. He pepped us up. We all went out to watch the acts that weren't music. They were pretty amazing. This was the best young talent in this part of Jersey, and all of it was hella entertaining.

Then the music came. Several people were on before us, some of which were our friends. Other people were people we didn't know or recognize.

First was a band we didn't recognize. 'Bring Me The Horizon' sung an amazing song called 'Drown'. It was a work of art. I don't know who wrote it, but it was deep as hell.

Then a band called 'Crown The Empire' sung a song called 'Crown The Empire' sung a cinematic song called Johnny Ringo. From the sound of it, it was written to be more vulgar than that.

Escape The Fate sung a song they titled as 'Not Good Enough For Truth In Cliche'. The lead singer was noticeably drunk but he still did an amazing job.

Mikey had to leave because he said he felt sick as our friends from Fall Out Boy sung a song called Bang The Doldrums. It was a great song too, so I felt bad that Mikey had to miss it.

People we didn't recognize named their band 'Set It Off'. They sung a song with a girl named Ash Costello called 'Partners In Crime' and it was amazing.

Then our friends in Panic! At The Disco came right before us.

The stage was silent for a bit as they stood up there and got everything ready.

"Ready?" Brendon asked inaudibly on stage.

"Yup", all of his hand mates responded.

"Let's do this then", he brought his mouth to the microphone. "1-2-3-4!"

Then with a careful beat set off by the drummer, Brendon began to sing while his band mates played.

Is it still me that makes you sweat?
Am I who you think about in bed?
When the lights are dim and your hands are shaking as you're sliding off your dress?
Then think of what you did
And how I hope to God he was worth it.
When the lights are dim and your heart is racing as your fingers touch his skin.
I've got more wit, a better kiss, a hotter touch, a better fuck
Than any boy you'll ever meet, sweetie you had me
Girl I was it, look past the sweat, a better love deserving of
Exchanging body heat in the passenger seat?
No, no, no, you know it will always just be me

This is when administration realized this wasn't the most appropriate song. Everyone began to howl with laughter. I swear, some girls would have throw their panties on stage.

Jesus everyone, chill out.

Now that the auditorium was riled up, we felt a little more confident in going on.

We went in the back stage to get ready and watched as Brendon, Ryan, Dallon, and Spencer got chewed out and received detention slips. They were giggling, so they had to know this would happen. Maybe they just wanted to make a joke.

"Ladies and gentleman, for our final act of the night, here's My Chemical Romance, another from Belleville."

We nervously prepared. Eventually, the curtain raised and we were all there, scared shitless. I was ready to bust out the jams like nobody was watching.

My legs shaked and my chest was having palpitations, but Gerard counted off to four with his fingers and then our band began to play.

Just from the beginning, everyone started banging their heads (this was the rock and roll days).

"They're gonna clean up your looks, with all the lies in the books to make a citizen out of the, because they sleep with a gun and keep an eye on you son so they can watch all the things you do..."

We covered our inappropriate words with more appropriate lyrics. By the end of the song, the entire auditorium was singing along and they were screaming as we left the stage. Our peers and even the unknown bands to us congratulated us and we congratulated them.

Everyone was so amazing and nice.

In the end, we all stood on stage as they presented us with prizes. The grand prize winners got all of the music equipment. Though it was cheap and crappy, with a little care, they would be alright for now.

And we were the music winners and we were all so proud and we were glad that we only entered to win some instruments.

That's the only reason why we were there.

Important A/N:

I have half of my new series (Diseased) out, and I suggest you check it out if you want something kind of like ASOTM but less feels. At least check out the description. Also, I love reading comments because they're my lifeline so please don't let me die.