Franks POV- 27 years old

Alternate Universe/The World Is Ugly

   Hey guys I'm doing a change. This blog suggested writing a story with the song that comes on first when you hit shuffle and mine was The World Is Ugly. Please tell me if I should do this again

   here:

   I locked up the store and began to walk away, head down and hands in my pockets.

   I didn't want to threaten anyone by making eye contact.

   I was the one stuck working late again because someone had a family gathering and left me to do. Hah, I haven't been to a family gathering since my dad went to jail and my mom never made contact to me once she kicked me out at eighteen.

   I've lost touch with all of my friends. Well, I only had two. But Ray and Bob had moved away to pursue life in a bigger city. It's probably been a while since I've ever taken a day off of work.

   My short body had a fantastic immune system and I never had anything going on.

    I walked to my shitty one bedroom studio apartment and made shitty coffee with my shitty coffee maker and watched a shitty movie on my shitty DVD player.

   I contemplated food when I got a call on my cell phone.

   "Hello?" I answered.

   "Hello, is this Frank... Uh, Iero?" a serious sounding man asked.

   "It's pronounced Iero, but yes that's me", I said.

   "Your location of employment is at Joey's Guitar Store and Beyond, correct?" the man questioned.

   "Yes, again, who is this?" I asked.

   "You have worked there nine years and have only taken three days off. We have calculated that 74% of your days worked have been on overtime with regular pay. This is a crime according to many labor laws", the man explained.

   "I've never had a reason to take off. And I never noticed", I said nervously.

   "You are required to take the next two weeks off with pay and you can't be fired for this. Your boss will be notified tomorrow morning. Thank you", the man was about to hang up but I stopped him.

   "Wait, I have nothing to do, I'll just sit at home", I was confused.

   "All of the money your boss owes you is being over-nighted. Go take a vacation or something, I would suggest", the man said.

   "Okay, thank you", I said.

   The line clicked and I wondered why this was happening. What would I do? I definitely have never been on vacation before. That's what I would do. But where would I go?

   I wanted to get out of the city, that's for sure. I should go somewhere nature-y.

   Let me think, there's Arizona, New Mexico, that place with the Great Lakes.

   Before I could think of anything else I thought Arizona would be a terrific idea. It was sunny, canyon populated, and so on.

   I looked up bus tickets on my phone and booked a stay at a Holiday Inn. I was going to leave tomorrow the second my money got here and I'd be back a few days before work started back.

   I rode the crappy bus all the way to Arizona, which lasted two days, but in the end I'd save more money.

   I was seeing another part of the country, and all the parts in between.

   Once there, I decided I wouldn't be going to the Grand Canyon. I was going to invest in hiking boots, and take a hike.

   I sought out a camping store and bought some hiking boots. After that I bought a box of nutrition bars or whatever the Fuck they're called and went back to my hotel and swam.

   The next day, I got ready to hike. I had on my most durable skinny jeans and my oldest band shirt.

   I strapped on the hiking boots that I had sharpened black to match my outfit. I took a drawstring bag full of the health bars and just drove until I came to a public park.

   It took me a second to get out of the car, because the thought of me exercising was hysterical. When I opened my door, I didn't notice the car that had just parked next to me, and my door slammed into his door.

   I stood instantly and slammed the car shut.

   The person got out and faced me.

   "I am so sorry, how much will it cost to fix? I didn't see you there, I'm really sorry", I began to frantically apologize.

   He looked pretty neutral about it.

   "I like your shirt", he complimented.

   "What? Oh thank you. Here", I pulled a $100 Bill out of my wallet and handed it to him.

   He shook his head and waved it away.

   "It's fine", he said. "Were you planning on hiking today? It's a beautiful day".

   "Uhh, yeah? Are you sure you don't want me to pay for the damage?" I asked.

   This man was crazy.

   "You're good. I could use a hiking buddy. The view is beautiful", he smiled sincerely.

   He stated straight at me and I blushed.

   "Sure I'll hike with you", I laughed.

   We went to the most beginner trail and began to hike up.

   It turns out he wasn't crazy. He was just happy. He just finalized the divorce with his wife and was taking a break from the city life. He lived in Jersey like me. His name was Gerard Way.

   We really got to know each other on our hike. We were tired once we reached the top and settled on a rock near the ledge.

   "It's so weird. The world was beautiful, but it was made ugly by these ugly people," I reflected.

   "The world may be ugly, but you're beautiful to me", Gerard turned to me.

   Before I had time to react to that statement, he kissed me light on the lips.