Chapter 149 - Recover the floppy disk

The police had arrived. The body had been moved so that the office could be examined. Megure was coming to the conclusion that it was a natural death, which was not Conan's idea.
   -I think he liked cleanliness! announced the boy. When we arrived, he was sitting in his chair with his face against his desk! And yet there were no marks on the desk!
   -Marks? Kogoro repeated
   -Of course! Slime! Given what he drooled, he should have left some on the desk! But as he liked cleanliness, he had to wipe it off!

   Yoko sighed. She was sitting on the bed, thinking about how to get the disk back. She'd told the detective that she was going to get it back herself, but how? She knew that if she tried to take it, the police would stop her.
   Shit... Why did I do it... And why he died without being questioned...
   -Yoko-chan, are you okay?
   -Are you?
   The girl raised her head and took her hand away from her face to look at Ran.
   -Do you have a headache? the schoolgirl asked.
   -Erm... Slightly, but I'm fine! I was just thinking a bit. replied the girl with the glasses.
   -If it gets any worse, don't hesitate to let me know, OK?
   -I won't!
   Even if it did, I wouldn't tell you!

   She sighed. At the same time, Conan approached her.
   -Can you step aside, please? he whispered.
   -If you like...
   The former schoolgirl stood up and stretched, watching her brother. He climbed onto the bed and grabbed the blanket.
   -That blanket looks warm! And soft too!... Oh my! It's all sticky...
   Isn't it? I hadn't noticed...
   -... Of course it is! A blanket! Megure exclaimed. The murderer must have wrapped Itakura-san up in a blanket and sat him on the chair and finished it off with tape!
   I don't understand a word...
   -Said Conan, what's going on? Yoko asked.
   -Nothing, don't worry. Just take care of the tape.
   -... I'll try. But just because I agreed doesn't mean I don't have a right to know...
   -If not, have you come up with an idea to get it back? cut in the former schoolboy.
   The girl pulled at his cheeks.
   -You're going to start by calming down and concentrating on the investigation!
   When the detective was released, he rubbed his cheeks.
   -I'm going back, I'm going back...
   He shoved his hands in his pockets and walked away.
   He's worse than a kid sometimes...
   Yoko sighed.

   The former schoolgirl was thinking. Maybe she had an idea of how to get the disk back. And this idea had come from Kogoro, when he had pretended to be Itakura to find the room. By using another disk, we could get the diary.
   Now all I need to do is figure out how to copy the diary without the police noticing...
   -This is it! These are the last entries! Takagi announced, settling down in front of the computer.

   Conan had suggested that the police examine the diskette, which had annoyed his sister a little. As usual, he had a mind of his own when the organisation was involved in a case.

   -Three days ago... "Today, a hotel employee came to tell me something strange. One of the three may have found out which room I'm in. Anyway, it's not a big deal. I just need to change hotels." Lu Kogoro glanced at the three suspicious guests. I knew there was something strange about you...
   -There's no follow-up? Megure asked.
   -No, there isn't. Takagi replied.
  The girl with the tied-up hair approached the desk at the same time as her brother.
   -In that case, I'll give it to...
   The bespectacled boy couldn't finish his sentence when Yoko stepped on his foot. Distracted by this, he didn't have time to pick up the diskette, which had been grabbed by the inspector.
   -Oe... Will you...
   -Shut up for two seconds and listen to me!

   The young boy was pulled towards the entrance of the room, so as not to be heard by the adults.
   -I've got a few things to tell you! Firstly, it's not by rushing in like this that the murder will be solved and that you'll be able to inspect the diskette. This is getting really boring! Secondly, if you consulted me even a little bit, you'd know that I've got an idea how to get the diary back! And thirdly...
   Yoko didn't finish her sentence. She wasn't sure herself what she wanted to say. She was just afraid that Conan's haste would be their undoing. Especially himself and Ai. As far as the former pupil was concerned, the girl had promised to keep an eye on him, and even if it wasn't necessarily easy, she had to do it. And for the former member of the organisation, she had promised to protect her.

   All that came out of the former schoolgirl's mouth was a sigh.
   -In any case, would you be prepared to listen to me quietly?
   The young detective stared at his sister for a moment. She was right, he had to calm down. And he sensed that there was something she hadn't said.
   He took a deep breath to regain his composure.
   -I'm all ears. he announced.