Chapter 18 - Disappeared

-Oh, right! It's only the window that opened with the wind! Mitsuhiko reassured herself.
   After the door to one of the rooms opened, the schoolchildren went to have a look.
   -Pfft, a ghost? That's not it!
   -Wow! Looks like a real detective Mitsuhiko-kun!
   He just concluded that it was the window... anyone can guess...
   Conan inspected the floor. Meanwhile, the freckled boy decided to go to the toilet.
   -Don't you want to be accompanied? asked Yoko.
   -It had to go!

   Ten, then twenty minutes passed. Suddenly, a shout
   -It's Mitsuhiko-kun's voice! Ayumi panicked.
   The four children left the room before looking for Mitsuhiko. But he didn't answer
   -But where has he gone...? Genta asked.
   -He wasn't in the toilet... added the short-haired girl.
    Conan kept silent before ordering them to go to a room while he did the research, on his own.

  Yoko stood at the entrance to the room, against the door.
   -Do you think Conan-kun will be able to find Mitsuhiko-kun... ? Ayumi asked in a sad voice
   -Yes, I do. Don't underestimate him! replied the girl with the glasses. Tell me, do your parents know you're coming here?
   -No... Mum must be worried..." sighed Genta before taking a packet of cakes.
   -Couldn't you have warned them?
   -They'd have stopped us coming! exclaimed the schoolgirl with the short brown hair
   -Your bullshit will have made your friend disappear!
   - You dragged us into this! shouted the only boy in the room
   -Sorry, but I wanted to avoid an argument!

   There was silence. Ayumi finally broke it.
   -Say... Yoko-chan... why are you always so distant with us? And yet...
   She looked away.
   -I don't really have a reason to be around you in the first place... Oe! Genta...-kun!  Don't eat it all!
   The one who'd asked the question grabbed the remaining packets.
   -Mitsuhiko-kun is lost somewhere and must be hungry! The same goes for Conan-kun! This is for them! Don't touch it!

   Yoko suddenly caught a whiff of food, which did not escape the greedy man's notice.
   -I'm going to have a look! he announced
   -Don't move! I'll go and have a look myself!
   -But your brother told us not to move! Ayumi panicked
   -I know what I'm doing! I'll be back soon! Said the young girl with glasses as she walked away.

   Yoko walked along the corridor, following the scent. She was being discreet, and had turned off her torch. The dim light outside guided her. Eventually she came to a kitchen. One person. A lady with long grey hair was cooking. Then this lady turned as she heard the door of the room being moved. Crap! I didn't see that! She hurried away to hide.
   -I really should be careful... she said, calming her breathing.
   On her way back to the children, she got lost. She decided to turn on her torch, but this meant she had to be extra careful. On the ground, she noticed a trapdoor. The dust had been removed, forming a square, and a handle was visible.
   -I should warn Conan...

   Yoko turned back, wary of everything. Eventually she came across Conan.
   -What are you doing here! You weren't supposed to leave the room!
   -Except that I found something... interesting! she announced.
   -What did you find?
   The boy raised his eyebrows.
   -I think it would be better to go back to the kids..." sighed the girl.
   The boy with the glasses nodded, then they headed for the bedroom.

   Conan pushed open the door. He was immediately greeted by Ayumi, who was almost crying.
   -I thought you'd disappeared! she shouted.
   -Sorry, I found some rather interesting things.
   -And I found a passage. And a lady who was cooking.
   -It's-it's-it's the fan-fantom! Beguailla Genta
   The short-haired girl almost screamed.
   -You idiots, there's no ghost! Ever since we came in here, we knew there were no ghosts. sighed the boy with the glasses. Right, let's head for that famous passage.

   The group left the room after clearing away the many packets of cakes. Yoko led the way, with Conan bringing up the rear. Then they came to a dead end.
   -There's nothing here! grumbled the fat man.
   The girl turned her torch towards the ground.
   -And what do you think these lines in the dust are?