Chapter 51 - Ran's Doubts

Yoko had just come out of the toilet. She, the magician and a school friend had gone to the restaurant. She didn't engage in any discussion with the adult, apart from nodding when the latter offered a drink. She would have preferred to eat something sweet.

   As the door closed behind her, she heard her badge ring.
   -Yoko! Are you heading for Miyoshi-san? Conan almost shouted.
   -Huh? The magician? I'm not next to her... What's going on?
   -She's the murderer!
   The former schoolgirl took a deep breath to calm herself and turned round in her seat. She looked over at Ayano, the dead man's daughter. She was lying down, but asleep. Yoko could see her breathing.
   -Madame... it's about time you came home. said the young girl, yawning.
   Miyoshi nodded and put the sleeping child on her back.

   They made their way home in silence, Yoko keeping an eye on the adult. They returned to the big house where the magicians lived. The black-haired lady turned herself in immediately, explaining that she had killed Ayano's father because he had killed her father, jealous of her magic tricks. She had seen her tampering with the equipment.

   -Oh dear! I forgot to buy something to make dinner tonight! Ran exclaimed.
   Just after the affair, everyone went home. The schoolgirl had stared at Conan all the way. Yoko stood back a little.
   -Well... I'm going to do some shopping at the combini!
   She grabbed Conan by the shoulders before walking away, holding him by the hand.
   We're screwed...

   Yoko followed her, hand in her pockets. She soon recognised the streets. It was the one she'd taken to go to Agasa's house. And right by his house was Shinichi's house.
   -Erm... Ran? You know this isn't really the right road to go to the combini? Did we get lost? Maybe we should go back, huh?
   Conan spoke in a childish voice, while the young girl remained silent.
   -Yes... you're right... let's go home!
   -But, Ran-neechan... Ran-neechan, you know this is Shinichi-niichan's house? Said the brown-haired girl.
   -So it's thanks to that girl that you've been fooling the whole world every time... Shinichi...

   There was silence as the wind blew. Yoko tucked her hair behind her ears so as not to be disturbed. The boy with the glasses started to say that he wasn't Shinichi, but the girl with the long hair explained that his way of solving investigations and his lack of gift for music proved who he really was.
   -Ran-neechan... buy some glasses... we're children, it shows! sighed the young girl
    -You are... well maybe, but I'm sure Agasa-hakase made her swallow a potion or something!
   She's not very far away...
   -Do you have any proof? asked Conan.
   Ran grabbed the boy's glasses and threw them in the air.
   -How is it possible that you look so much like her! Confess now, Shinichi!

   Yoko turned as she heard footsteps. A woman with curly hair had just arrived.
   -Gosh, Ran-chan! What are you doing outside our house at this time of night?
   That's all I needed...
   -W... when did you get back from Los Angeles? exclaimed the schoolgirl.
   She quickly explained her return before turning her attention to the two children. Ran lowered her head, smiling, before grabbing the boy.
   -We'll check it out by asking your real mother!
   -Well... It's little Conan-kun! How've you been? And where's your sister?
   -Where's your sister? Do you know her two children?
   -Of course I do. He's my uncle's grandson who's the cousin of my grandfather's elder brother!
   ... Eh? What did she think up?

   Yoko walked over to Yukiko, asking to be carried in for a hug. She complained that Ran was weird. All in the most childish voice possible.
   What I mustn't do...
   The schoolgirl continued to want Conan to reveal his identity. She found his deductions odd for a mere child, whereas Yoko was the opposite. The boy's mother explained that one was more influenced by Shinichi.
   -But...
   -Ran-chan? Think about it... You really think Shin-chan would act like that.

   Conan hid behind his mother, crying that Ran scared him.
   We're both making fools of ourselves...
   The detective's daughter finally apologised to the children, caressing Yoko's head.
   -If you want me to apologise, I'll make you hamburgers! she announced
   -Ran-chan? Can I borrow these two children for a few days? It's been so long since I've seen them...

   With that, the schoolgirl left, waving goodbye to the two children. When she had gone, Yukiko put the girl down. She moved away to retrieve Conan's glasses, leaving the son and his mother to talk together. Then she returned to them.
   -By the way, does Dad know you're coming?
   -You'd think... I didn't say anything. It doesn't matter, I wanted to spend a moment with you, Shin-chan.
   She grabbed her son, declaring that she felt younger too.
   -If I'm bothering you, just tell me! Yoko yawned.
   -As well as getting younger, I now have a daughter!
   Hey! I'm not your daughter... don't say that...
   The three of them finally went back into the house.