Chapter 11 - A job that pays too well

Yoko looked away from the people in front of her. A classroom. It was just a primary school class.
   -So... Hello everyone, we're your new classmates...
   -Edogawa Yoko. She introduced herself quickly and curtlyz
   -... My name is Edogawa Conan!

   There was 0a short silence before the class started laughing. Yoko was relieved to be unnoticed with his name, unlike the one playing the role of his brother.
   -Right, let's start by showing your two new friends around the school.
   Conan refused outright. He already knew his school and preferred not to visit it. At least, that's what the young girl thought. She made her way to the back of the classroom and settled in. She had spotted this spot, not far from the window, when she had introduced herself.

   The day before, Agasa-hakase had announced the enrolment of the two children in the school, so as not to arouse suspicion. He had also given Conan a present.

   What am I doing back in primary school?
   She sighed as she looked out of the window, while the pupils did their maths - multiplication tables to be precise.

   The bell signalled recess. Yoko looked around the playground for a place to sit by herself.
   -Edogawa Yoko-chan, isn't it?
   Yoko was startled out of her thoughts. Opposite her was a girl with short brown hair and a headband.
   -That's me, isn't it?
   -Welcome! I'm Yoshida Ayumi! Say, do you want to join our group?
   -Why would I...?
   -I thought... seeing as you're on your own...
   -I'm fine...
   She got up and walked away from Ayumi, who had a disappointed look on her face.
   I'm sorry, but I don't belong here!

   After classes, the children were able to go home. Yoko quickly came out and was waiting for the other boy at the entrance.

   -Well?
   On their way back, Conan and Yoko spotted Kogoro, newspaper in hand.
   Is he watching someone?
   -Hello, Oji-san! What are you up to?
   -Shh! I'm working!
   -Are you following him?
   Yoko still couldn't talk to them easily. She just listened to what was said.
   -Shut up, he might hear you!
   But I didn't do anything-
   -You're embarrassing me by staying here! Tell Ran I'll be back late and don't wait for me to eat!
   Just as he was about to start following the person again, he tripped over the bin and knocked it over.
   Idiot...

    That evening, Kogoro returned home, proud of himself.
   -Five hundred thousand for three days' shadowing! There are some jobs that pay well!
   -And I have a feeling it's only just begun! Ran mentioned.
   -Everyone's finally recognising my innate talent!
   -You've shown great insight in previous cases! In fact, since Yoko-chan and Conan-kun have been living here, business has been going better.
   Yoko gasped.
   -Maybe they're bringing us luck!

  Suddenly, Kogoro mentioned their parents. The two children didn't have any under their current identities. Or rather, Agasa had told Ran that they were in hospital.
   -When we went to Agasa-hakase, he told us that their parents had been transferred abroad, and that they'd get them back once they'd settled in.
   -I suppose we'll have to keep them again...
   Where do you want us to go?! I'd like to go home, but not looking like this!
   The young girl sighed. The detective looked at Conan and said he reminded him of someone.
   Oe oe...

   Fortunately, the television news distracted him.
   "At around eight o'clock this evening, the charred body of a man was found near the bonfire at the great Akaoni fire festival, in the midst of many tourists..."
   When the man's name was mentioned -Negishi Masaki-, Kogoro rushed to the TV.
   -What?! ... There's no doubt about it... it's him!
   -Do you know him, Dad?
   -Do I know him? I spent three days with that guy!
   Yoko's blood froze. Like her 'brother' and Ran, she'd understood. This was the man the former policeman had been watching.

   The next day, Yoko, accompanied as usual by Conan and Ran, was waiting outside the police station. She watched as the boy with the glasses got excited with his ball.
   He wants to solve the case... she thought as she played with a stick.
   Finally, Kogoro came out and everyone went inside.
   - Something's fishy! It's very suspicious! There's no doubt who did it! Five hundred thousand yen! He paid me five hundred thousand yen to watch a man for three days! That's way too much! Plus he plays the innocent, trusting type... I don't like him at all!
   -So why don't you arrest him? asked the long-haired schoolgirl
   -He's got an airtight alibi! And the person who gave it to him is me!