Chapter 123 - One Man Like Another

Yoko pouted at the joy of the children and adults around her. The audience cheered every part of the show. It was a great relief for the young girl when it was all over and she could set foot outside.
   -It was great! exclaimed Genta.
   -Those animals were really cute! added Ayumi.
   -Especially Leon, the white lion! He was great! Enriched Mitsuhiko.
   -I don't think anyone liked it more...
   Conan glared at his sister who was sulking.

   -That's the truth! The girl with the headband finally realised. Not once did Yoko-chan smile! Why didn't she?
   -Well... How can I say that animals aren't made for shows! I'd much rather see them in the wild! she replied through clenched teeth.
   -Well then, why did you take one of Léon's key rings? asked the freckled boy.
   The girl in glasses put her hands in her pockets and sighed.
   -That's different! It's just cute! Animals are cute too, but when they're free...

    The main part of the group cut the conversation short. Something had caught his eye. A man surrounded by journalists. Agasa explained that it was Hawk Randy, the show's sponsor. It was he who had bought the animals for the show, and that his aim was to travel the world.
   Seriously?
   The children wanted to get a little closer and so they did.
   -Hawk-san! A few words please! asked one of the journalists.
   -But no, I... I'm not... I'm not Hawk Randy... The man tried to defend himself.
   -Come on... You're putting us on!
   He doesn't look comfortable at all... I don't think he's lying... you can see it in his face!
   -Is it true that you donate half the profits from the show to zoos all over the world?
   -You're back in Japan after a three-year absence, what are your impressions?!
   -Say something Hawk-san!
   The poor guy just couldn't stand being bothered like that any more.
   -Can you give me a break ?!

   Yoko looked at Conan and crossed her arms behind her head.
   -Shouldn't we help him? asked the former schoolgirl.
   -Yes, we should.
   The two of them glanced at each other to decide who was going to save this stranger. In the end, the detective went ahead.
   -Why help him? asked Genta.
   -It's not that Hawk Randy... He looks like one, but he's not very good in front of journalists and his expression shows that he's not the so-called Hawk... Anyway! Let's go and help Conan!
   She started pushing Ayumi and quickly caught up with her brother.
   -Ah! There you are Thomas-sensei! exclaimed the boy.
   I've no idea what he's doing to help her, but go and follow him in his delirium!

   With the help of the Detective Boys, the young boy got the man away from the journalists and the group led him away. He thanked the children for getting him out of this mess. He also explained that the reason he had gone to see the show was to get the same key ring that Yoko, Ai and Ayumi had. It belonged to Leon, the white lion.
   -I wasn't lucky earlier! Because of what happened, I missed my friend who I was meeting at the exit! Have you seen a man with long hair? he asks.
   Long hair, eh? I hope your friend isn't called Gin haha...
   -If he's a good friend, he'll probably still be waiting for you there, won't he? asked the brown-eyed girl.
   He just shrugged.
   -By the way, Conan, how did you know he wasn't Hawk Randy? Is it like Yoko? Genta asked.

   The boy looked at Yoko, who had to repeat her deduction based on people's appearance, posture and expression. Conan, on the other hand, was more the other way round, more complete and concrete. The English accent he had, not the American one, and the physical difference he had compared to Hawk Randy.
   -Oh! How perceptive of you! My name is James Black. And yours?
   -Edogawa Yoko...
   -Edogawa Conan ! Detective!