Chapter 16 - An evil woman

Yoko lowered the handle of the bedroom door.
   -... It's open...
   Everyone entered the room, before stopping.
   -He.... he's dead! Kogoro shouted
   The suspect was on the floor, dead, leaning against the wall, can in hand, blood on his clothes. The detective picked up the can and sniffed it.
   -That smell... it's cyanide... he had too much death on his conscience, he couldn't take it and killed himself...
   -And Masami-san... ? asked Ran in a worried voice.

   The young schoolgirl approached Conan, who was looking at the dead man's watch.
   -What does cyanide smell like?
   -Like almonds...
   He took a few steps back and bumped into something.
   -...
   He began to think as Kogoro called the police.
   -Ah, Inspector! About the murderer of Hirota Kenzo-san... ... What about him?! Was he single?!
   -Oe... Conan...do you know what's going on?
   He seemed to think even harder.
   -I think I know.

   -So Mouri-san... what do we do now? ? asked the other detective
   -Since there's been a crime, we're obliged to wait for the police...
   -I can't believe what you said... Masami-san... wasn't Hirota-san's daughter...
   -The police are investigating! There's no doubt!

   As Ran and his father talked together, Conan inspected the body.
   -It's still warm...
   -So he died not long ago... sighed Yoko, keeping her distance from the body.
   -... The woman we met in the lift... !
   -What about her?
   -The hairstyle and style were different, but her looks and her suitcases...
   He started to run out of the room, followed by Ran and Yoko.
   -Wait for Conan! shouted the young girl
   -Conan-kun! Where are you going? asked the schoolgirl
   -I know where she is! I know where Masami-san is!

   Once outside, Conan passed the son of people waiting for the taxi. But Masami-san's vehicle had already left.
   -Follow that car! he said as he got into another car
   -Oi, brat ! We're trying to overtake everyone! shouted a customer holding the schoolboy
   Ran grabbed the child before shouting.
   -My father's in Yukiyama! He's going to be cut into pieces and buried alive! If we don't hurry it'll be too late!
   The person gave way to them.
   She's scary... but it's useful!
   The journey was made in a heavy silence. Then the three arrived at a port.
   -How do we get there? We've lost her... worried the schoolgirl.
   -Shit! shouted Conan before running off
   Yoko followed him without question, followed by Ran. Each of them looked left and right, but couldn't find Masami-san.

   Suddenly, a shot rang out.
   -!!
   -There she is! Conan announced.
As they approached, the suspect poured out, falling first onto his knees, then onto his stomach.
   -What's wrong Masami-san? cried the girl with the long brown hair
   -Ran-nee-chan! Call an ambulance! Now! Yoko ordered
   -And tell your father too! Added the bespectacled boy.
   Without thinking, she ran to find a phone.

   -I'll try to apply first aid! the schoolgirl struggled to articulate, as her breathing became faster and faster.
   Yoko knew first aid by heart. Her father had taught her this when she was a child, because it would probably come in handy.
   -It's already too late...
   -Shut the fuck up! Let me try to stop...
  She stepped back as the injured woman coughed up blood.
   -It's not... too late... Yoko almost cried.
   -You... you're the children in the detective's house... aren't you? How did you... find me... ?
   Conan began to explain the transmitter he'd accidentally put on his watch, and what he'd deduced from seeing the suitcases.
   -Who are you?!
  -Edoga... no... Kudo Shinichi, and I'm a detective!
   -I'm Enoshiya Kyoka... I'm just a photographer... even though I haven't done anything... she said as she stood up...
   -Detective... ? Photo...graph? And there was... a transmitter... on my watch...?

   The victim's breathing became ragged as she shifted position. She began to explain that the people in charge of the robbery had not been chosen arbitrarily. Hirota-san for his driving skills, the second to die for his strength, and her, for "the organisation".
   -Organisation?
   -Yes... a big... a big secret organisation... I was just a pawn... at the end of the chain... but I know that their colours... Black...
   She tried to sit up, but ended up lying down. Yoko's legs were shaking, so she couldn't stand.
   -The members... the members of the organisation always dress... in black... like ravens... I would like you... to listen... to my last wish...
   She grabbed the hands of the two children.
   -The suitcases... containing the hundred million... are in the hotel reception... I'd like you... to get them back... before they do... They have... used me enough... promise... me...

   She let go of the two former students' hands, hers falling heavily to the ground. At the same time, Ran, Kogoro and the police had arrived... but too late...

   The money was recovered, or so the victim had said.
   Yoko stayed in bed for several days, not wanting to move, and running a slight fever. Her thoughts went from Masami's face to his words, especially that 'Organisation'. The black... these men who had poisoned her... Coincidence or... ?