Chapter 138 - Chris Vineyard

The children had just come back from a football match which had excited them. This wasn't the case for Yoko, who hadn't gone into the stadium, but rather wandered around.
   -Hide's dribbling on the four players was fantastic! Genta affirmed.
   -Yeah, they were! Everyone jumped for joy in the central stands! Mitsuhiko added.

   The group chatted in good spirits about the match, while the kid with the glasses sighed and decided to sort through her photos.
   I should take care of the USB stick too...
   While thinking, she touched the temples of her camera glasses. She had a lot of use for them, especially during murders.
   I feel like the police sometimes with photos of corpses... sighed the former schoolgirl.
   -There's no room for traitors anywhere.
   Ai's words startled her friend, who gave her a worried look.
   -What are you talking about? she finally asked.
   -Don't worry about football... Conan reassured her.
   -Ah... again...
   She plunged her head back into her usual activity, isolating herself from the conversation which was boring her.

   Ayumi, Genta and Mitsuhiko had stopped in front of a shop's TV, which was showing another live match.
   It's never going to end...
   Most of what the presenters were saying was about one of the players, Higo Ryūsuke. He didn't seem to be appreciated, being hissed, booed everywhere.
   -Pff! he got what he deserved...
   A man cut off the children's attention.
   -He betrayed us, the supporters of Noir. Traitors who fall into hell never recover... he finished, laughing.
   -What the...

   Yoko stared at him, not knowing why he had said that.
   -He looks familiar, don't you think? Genta asked his friend.
   -Yes, I saw it on the news! He was arrested by the police: while he was drinking, he threw smoke bombs onto the pitch and got into a fight in the stands with other fans... Mitsuhiko explained. If I remember correctly, his name is...
   -Akano Kadotake! cut in Conan. A passionate Tokyo Black fan who thinks he's a hooligan. He's on the federation's blacklist and banned from certain stadiums... he finished.
   -A guy with problems... yawned the detective's sister.
   -That's why he thinks he's a hooligan. He's got a website called "Tokyo Hooligan" where he keeps a diary of his encounters and writes: "Today I beat up such and such a supporter"...
   Do people really go to his site though?

   The look on Genta's face showed his lack of understanding.
   -What are 'hooligans'?
   -It's the name given to violent European supporters who cause problems in stadiums and spend their time fighting... said the kid with glasses.
   The bulk of the group and their friend took one last look at the man before returning to the TV, joining Ai and Ayumi.

   Conan took the opportunity to talk to Agasa, followed by Yoko. The young boy knew he couldn't stop her following him. When he had returned from Jodie's house, the former schoolgirl had reprimanded him, complaining that he didn't trust her enough. Then, with a smile, she had convinced him that she would be able to help him, although he didn't think it was a good idea. He'd told her briefly about the mission he'd given to his former neighbour, but no more than that.
   -Hakase... How are you getting on with the research on the site? he asked.
   -Eh ?
   -What I asked you the other day... The American film star, Chris Vinyard. said the former schoolboy.
The scientist made a movement, showing that he had just remembered what the boy was talking about.
   -I did as you told me and got involved in the fan discussions on the site... I don't know why, but while there's plenty of information about his mother, the great actress Sharon Vinyard, his private view is a complete mystery... It seems that the first time she appeared in public, outside of filming, was on the day of her mother's funeral. They even broadcast the event on Japanese television. Resuma Agasa.

   The two rejuvenated men listened attentively to what the man had to say. Each piece of information could be crucial. But Yoko only retained one main piece of information that made her shudder. As the scientist explained that at the funeral, journalists tried to ask Chris Vineyard questions, she had only given an answer to one of them. "A secret makes a woman, woman".
   -Oe! Yoko, are you all right? Conan asked his sister abruptly.
   He held her back, and she just looked around.
   -What was that?
   -Agasa-hakase was talking when you almost fell over.
   -I'm sorry, I just... I just got dizzy... But believe me, it wasn't stress...
She took a moment to breathe and shoved her hands into her pockets.
   -I think it might do me good to talk to you about it... Even though I think I've already told you briefly...
   After dropping a smile to reassure the two people, she began to explain what she had heard when the bus was hijacked. The words spoken by Jodie, which were the same as those spoken by Chris.