Chapter 132 - X

Yoko and Conan were walking down the street with Ran and Sonoko. To the two children's great relief, nothing strange had happened in the last few days. Or should they be worried? In any case, for the moment, nothing serious had happened.
   The two schoolgirls were chatting together. The long-haired girl asked if the two bespectacled kids knew anything about this sign.
   - "X" ? Does this sign have a particular meaning? asked the young boy.
   -Yes! Jodie-sensei explained it at the end of her lesson! She said it was a very 'cute' sign... Ran explained.
   -A very cute sign? Yoko repeated, raising her eyebrows.
   -You're wasting your time! There's no way kids know what that sign means.

   Conan immediately began to think. His sister simply folded her hands behind her head.
   -She also added that it was good for a woman to know what it meant! added the karateka.
   Is that 'x' really useful?
   The former schoolgirl's brother glanced at her.
   -Why are you looking at me like that? I've no idea... she sighed.
   -Haven't you ever seen that in your mother's letters? he whispered. You've never asked her?
   -Like, I told you I lost my mum when I was seven. I've never seen that from my adoptive mother...

   Jodie's voice cut off the conversation between the two younger people. Yoko shuddered. She was still just as suspicious of the English teacher. To keep calm, she reached into her pocket and took out a sweet.
   -Well, Mouri-san? Have you found the meaning of 'X' yet? asked the woman.
   -No, I haven't. confessed the schoolgirl.
   -Why don't you email Shinichi-kun and ask him? suggested Sonoko. "If you find the answer, I'll give you my precious X! she added in a more mocking tone.
   The girl in glasses nearly choked.
   Seriously, what's with the 'X'?
   She didn't know what to think. Was this sign really that special? Did her mother or her adoptive mother use it? It was far too intriguing. If she asked the girls what it meant, would they explain it to her or would they say she was too young.
   Raaah! What's so special about this sign, seriously?
   She let out a sigh before realising that the two schoolgirls had taken the two children to a shopping centre. Or maybe it was Jodie who had led them?

   -Were we the victims of a pervert? Have we? Ran was surprised.
   -Yes, you! A lot of cute girls from Teitan have complained recently about being bothered on the metro or the bus! How embarrassing is that? Jodie explained.
   -Yeah well, now you're bothering us... Yoko mumbled as she drank.
   Conan kicked her to keep her quiet. He knew that as soon as something put her in a bad mood, she could be unpleasant for a long time. He had noticed it during the Mycroft murder case.

   Fortunately, the English teacher didn't seem to have heard the girl.
   -Anyway, if a guy like that comes near us, Ran will knock him out in two seconds with his karate! Sonoko asserted.
   -A bodyguard! But be careful, it's not impossible that he could be lurking around your house, watching for the moment when you relax your attention... He could be a man with very bad intentions...
  Yoko shuddered.
   With everything that's been going on lately, I'm still scared of everything... I really need to calm down...
   -Are you all right, Yoko-chan? You look pale... Ran asked, looking at the kid with glasses.
   -I'm fine, I'm fine... it's not a big deal!
   She smiled falsely to convince them that everything was fine.
   I really must be more careful...

   -What?! You were followed by a strange guy?! suddenly shouted a customer from the café where the group had landed.
   The girls stared at him. And so did the two children.
   No need to shout... I think...
   The rest was already said in a lower voice. Although the former schoolgirl couldn't hear everything clearly, this person seemed to want information about someone.

    -... Where were we? Jodie asked, trying to change the subject.
   -We were talking about the stalker! Sonoko said.
   But, at the same time, the lights went out, plunging everyone into darkness.
   -Black out...
   -She's back... Ran remarked a few seconds later.
   Why was there a power cut... ?

   He barely had time to ask himself the question when a scream rang out. A crowd could be seen coming out of the café. Conan hurried from his seat to look, followed by Yoko a few seconds later. At the top of the escalators was a man being killed.
   When did...?! During the power cut?!
   These two events had followed one another and intrigued the young girl, wondering if they were related. She had no idea...
   -Mouri-san, Suzuki-san... Go and call the police and an ambulance! Jodie ordered.