Chapter 26 - Following the Lights

Someone's... I'm sure there's someone!
   Yoko turned round again, and walked towards where the children had gone.
   On the way, she decided to ask a few passers-by if the symbols on the paper reminded them of anything. Apart from the moon and Tokyo Tower, she couldn't get any information. What's more, she kept feeling like she was being watched.

   -Where have they gone again...?
   Finding no clues, Yoko set out to find Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko. They had gone into clothes shops, but it was impossible to know which shops the children were currently in.
   Eventually, the young girl passed a shop with a TV, which she concentrated on. Although she couldn't hear what it was saying, the subtitles allowed her to understand the subject. It was about a captured Italian gang leader and his accomplices who were currently in Japan. The gang had stolen fifteen thousand coins, the equivalent of thirty million yen.
  ... The police will catch them eventually! Yoko thought as she continued her research

   -Here you are at last... Don't wander off like that!
   The sun was setting, the sky tinged with an orange hue. Yoko shouted at her three classmates.
   -Don't tell me you've searched every clothes shop in the area!
   The three children looked proud of themselves.
   -We've managed to solve the code! Mitsuhiko announced. It wasn't a clothes shop, it was a signboard!
   Hahaha... it was so likely...
   -Follow us! ordered Genta! We'll show you!
   She followed them. It was true that what they had found looked a lot like the drawings.

   The girl with the glasses stopped abruptly.
   We're being followed!
   -Wait here for two seconds!
   Yoko moved away a little, heading for an alleyway. There was no one there.
   I was sure they were there!
   -What's the matter with you, Yoko-chan? Ayumi asked when her friend arrived.
   -... I just thought I saw someone I knew... But tell me... are you sure it's the signs you have to follow?
   -Yes! says Mitsuhiko confidently. We're just missing the star... we don't know where it is...
   -I don't believe it... it must mean something else! For example, what's the moon doing next to the... tower...

    Yoko looked up at the sky. It was already getting dark, so the moon was there. She looked around. Some of the signs were starting to light up.
   Yes, they were! That's it!
   -Tell me... does Tokyo Tower light up properly?
   Ayumi nodded.
   -Yes, it does! It wasn't the signs you had to follow, but the light!
   -But er... why?! asked Genta
   -The Tokyo Tower isn't a sign! It was more the lights! Do you know where there'd be one in the shape of a star!
   The three thought about it, before shouting together that it was certainly the Ferris wheel.
   When all the neon lights were on, they started looking for the shapes. Yoko led the way, watching the back of the group, knowing that they were always being watched.

   The four children came to a building where the neon lights matched the last drawing.
   -Now we have to find a luminous fish... thought the former schoolgirl.
   -If there isn't an aquarium or fish market nearby... how can Mitsuhiko find one?
   -There are fish in the river! exclaimed Genta
   -Let's go then! Ayumi added before running off
   Do you really think you can find a luminous fish? Yoko sighed before following them.

   When the girl arrived, Genta was looking in the river. She moved closer, without saying anything, knowing that it was neon lights that she had to look for. She looked at a bridge a little further on, which had lights. The young girl walked along the bank of the river, looking at the bridge, which had neon lights on its structure. She grabbed her camera and focused on the lights.
   Maybe there's one area in particular where you can see a fish?
   She took several steps back, concentrating on her subject.
   It's not there...

   -Yoko-chan! Watch out! Ayumi warned
   But it was too late. The brunette slipped and fell into the water.
   -Haa! Yoko-san! Are you all right? Mitsuhiko asked, approaching the young girl.
   She stood up, pulling off her soaking wet waistcoat. She got out of the water, checking that her camera wasn't too badly affected by the water.
   -What were you thinking? Genta almost laughed
   -Oh shut up! I was just thinking that the bridge could make a fish from a certain angle! Or maybe... with the... reflection...
   She looked at the light reflecting in the water, before looking up at the buildings around her.
   Maybe from a height... !
   She walked towards the building that corresponded to the two rectangles with the words "o" "r" "o" on the paper the children had found.