Chapter 52 - Discussion with Yukiko

Yoko woke up. She was half uncovered in an outfit that was far too big for her. She stared at the ceiling for a few seconds before remembering where she was. This bed, this outfit, the furnishings... She knew nothing about the room she was in. And yet, it was where she'd spent the night.

   The day before, Ran had been sure that Conan was Shinichi, which put the two children in danger, or even more so if the Organisation knew about it. But thanks to the boy's mother, any doubts had been dispelled. Yukiko had wanted to keep her son and Yoko close to her. So they had eaten together, and the woman had almost forced the young girl to take a bath with her after the boy in glasses had refused. Afterwards, she had lent Yoko a pyjama top, which reached her knees. Conan's clothes would have suited her, but most of it was Ran's.

   -Did I wake you, Kyoka-chan?
   The girl shivered. She rarely heard her first name, and the last time had also come from Yukiko. But this time, the addition of the "chan" made her shiver. She wasn't used to it.
   -Yes, you woke me up....Finite she replied
   -Sorry, sorry...
   The young girl sat up with a yawn. She was such a light sleeper that she woke up at the slightest noise.
   -Why else would you have woken up so early?
   -I've got somewhere to be. Would you like to come along?
   -... No !

   Yoko looked away, before settling on the edge of the bed.
   Still... It'd been a while since I'd slept with someone... I must have been tired to have fallen asleep so easily...
    The former high school student began to think about several things. Her mind was a bit muddled. When she looked up, she saw Yukiko staring at her, close to her face. She recoiled as the woman laughed a little.
   -W-... What are you doing?!
   -Sorry, you're so cute when you think.
   -Don't do that!
   -You know you can be so formal with me. You can even call me by my first name or... Mummy!
   -Heeeh?! Your first name's fine, but "Mum" is dead! And why should I call you that? panicked the child
   -Because you're my son's sister.
   -It was just improvised, wasn't it?
   Yoko puffed out her cheeks to Yukiko's amused laughter.
   -You were so cute when you were sleeping. You held my top up all night.
   -W... why would I do that?!

   The young girl panicked very easily about certain things and the woman had noticed it very quickly. She was amused. In her panic, Kyoka fell out of bed.
   -A-... But why should I have held your pyjamas!
   -You tell me~.
   -... Well... maybe... I thought I was with my mother... It's been years since I slept with an adult... But... don't get any ideas! I don't even call the people who adopted me "daddy" and "mummy"!
   Yoko blushed, feeling very uncomfortable about the situation. She got back into the big bed and hid under the duvet.
   We hardly know each other and she already thinks she's my mother! She's mad!
   Despite this, she couldn't help smiling a little.

   Then she straightened up.
   -Where are you going anyway?
   -I'm just going to visit a friend.
   Yukiko opened the bedroom door.
   -Don't hesitate to help yourself if you're hungry. I'll leave your breakfast in the kitchen.
   Then she closed the door. The former schoolgirl found herself alone in the silence. She lay back, staring at the ceiling.
   Since I'm at Shinichi's... I'll be able to get my phone back... If I take it back to Ran's, I'll have to put in a code, though...
   She sighed. And little by little, she slipped back into sleep.