Chapter 124 - The Missing Man

-Oh ! How perceptive of you ! My name is James Black. And yours? Introduced the man the children had saved.
   -Edogawa Yoko...
   -Edogawa Conan ! Detective!
   -Edogawa Conan?
   -And he's not the only detective! Genta replied.
   -We're members of the Detective Boys! Mitsuhiko explained.
   Ayumi handed the badge the group had to the man, who looked at it before recognising Sherlock Holmes on it.
   -So you're the Baker Street Irregulars!
   A fan of Sherlock Holmes or how does it go?

   Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko didn't understand who these "Baker Street Irregulars" were, so Conan had to explain briefly.
   -I was born in Baker Street! So I owe my new friends the Irregulars a present. I'm inviting you to lunch at a good restaurant I know! James announced.

   The trio and Yoko herself couldn't hide their delight. Only Conan and Ai remained calm.
   -Did you come by car? asked the man.
   -Yes, but I've only got five seats and...
   There's already seven of us in it...
   -OK! OK! In that case, let's take the wagon I've hired! Wait for me, I'll go and get it!

   He started to pull away before telling Agasa that he would let him drive, as he wasn't used to driving on the right. Conan could thus deduce that he had not always lived in England. And indeed, this man came from Chicago. Then he drove off.
   -It's nice of him to invite us to lunch... You don't want to take advantage of all the food in the Genta-kun restaurant, do you? anticipated the former high school student.
   -Yes, yes...
   -She's starting to know you pretty well! Laughed the girl with the headband.
   -It's not that complicated at the same time! added the freckled boy.
  -We'll be watching what you take! Added Yoko, who had to hold back a laugh at the look of despair on the face of the majority of the group.

   Many minutes had passed since James had left. Yoko had taken refuge in her camera to kill time. Together, the children decided to go and look for him.
   -James-san! Where are you? called Genta and Ayumi.
   Mitsuhiko was looking through the cars when he found the right one. He looked like everyone else.
   -It must be his car! Take a look! There's a cuddly toy of Leon on the dashboard!
   -It doesn't look like it," said the brunette with the glasses.

   A group of children approached, indicating that James had gone into the alley opposite his vehicle, in the company of two men. Conan immediately jumped in, closely followed by Yoko.
   -You could wait for me!
   She caught up with him and both noticed something on the ground at the same time.
   -Leon's keyring...
   The boy with glasses picked it up and stared at it.
   -Is it James-san's? Ayumi asked.
   -If it is, he might have got into another car there... Ai surmised.

  The brown-eyed girl snatched the famous key ring from her brother's hands and examined it.
   -Oe! Hang on a minute...
   -I'm just looking at it.
   Ah... !
   -P and A... ?
   -Huh?
   The children turned round.
   -It's just as I feared... He must have got mixed up in something... Conan announced, looking at the object's banner.
   -What do you mean? Ayumi worried.
   -The 'P' in Paul, the '&' and the 'A' in Annie have blood on them... Yoko explained.
   -He probably wanted to tell us something, knowing that we'd come looking for him! added the former schoolboy.
   -It's terrible! We've got to call the police... Mitsuhiko panicked.
   -In that case, go and get Agasa! Right away! ordered the girl with the glasses.
   The freckled boy nodded before running towards where the teacher was.
   How are we going to convince them? Even if we tell them that someone's life is at stake, they'll find it hard to believe a bunch of kids... We could always call Sato or Takagi, but given that we don't have any information on the criminals it'll be complicated... Don't start panicking... We'll find them... !