Chapter 106 - A strange woman

Yoko descended the stairs leading from the flat to Kogoro's office. Outside the door, she could hear the detective grumbling.
   What's wrong with him now?
   She entered the office. Ran was standing next to her father, arguing with him.
   -When are you going to start working seriously? the high-school girl snapped.
   I've come at the wrong time...
   The girl sat down on the sofa and sighed.
   -Tell me, what kind of person is she? Conan asked.
   -A woman... she'll be here! It'll be one of his grannies again... "Oh, please! Please find my first love! Please!"... It's always like that... Kogoro purred.
   What kind of imitation was that...

   Someone knocked on the door and Ran let her in. A woman entered.
   -I'm Ikenami Shizuka. I'm the one who phoned you earlier...
   She's beautiful!
   Yoko and Conan looked at the new arrival, before Kogoro came to bother her. He took her to sit on one of the sofas.
   He's hopeless...

   Once everyone was settled, Shizuka began to explain her request. She was looking for someone she'd gone to school with, in the same Kendo club. She showed a photo from her second year at school. Then Kogoro asked the customer about her interests.
   Don't try to pick her up... Or you'll get in trouble with Ran...
   She couldn't help sighing.
   Because of his daughter's words, the former policeman couldn't help but check whether his client was a lawyer, and was reassured when she said she wasn't.
   There's no way...
   -Hey lady! Are you ill? You've been coughing ever since you got home! Yoko remarked, hoping to divert the conversation.
   It would be better if Kogoro didn't try to put a ring on her finger...

   Shizuka explained that she was allergic to dust. There was some in the air, given that Ran had cleaned up before she arrived. So they made their way to Café Poirot.
   -You're getting a headache Conan... Is something bothering you?
   The bespectacled girl approached her brother, who was the last to leave the office.
   -There's something wrong with what he's saying...
   -May I ask?
   Before he could reply, Ran called the two children.

   The woman continued to explain her request. She was looking for her old friend in order to retrieve a photo she'd forgotten in a book he'd lent her.
   -Have you decided? asked the waitress.
   -Hello, Azusa-neechan! Yoko greeted. I'll have an iced coffee!
   -I'll have one too! asked Conan.
   -An iced coffee too. Kogoro ordered.
   -I'll have an iced tea with lemon! Pritched Ran.
   -Reiko... Shizuka said softly.
   Reiko? That sounds familiar...
   The former high school student began to think, while the customer explained that it was the character from the book her classmate had lent her. She ended up having an iced coffee herself.
   Ah, yes! I'd heard it from Akahara several times... Raah! It's true that she's from Osaka... and Asahi too... But then...
   She looked at the customer.
   Is she really the character in the book or is her photo from Osaka?
   She began to drink what she had ordered while thinking.

   Everyone had arrived at the building where the person they were looking for was. Conan had pointed out that if he was good at Kendo, he was still doing it. Thanks to this, they had managed to get his address.
   He doesn't seem to be there...
   Kogoro had been ringing the doorbell several times without any answer.
   -It's Sunday, they're probably out... Ran supposed.
   -Let's go for a walk, we'll come back later... suggested the detective.
   It would have been better if it was daylight...
   Yoko sighed.