Chapter 8 - Facing Okino Yōko

Yoko woke up when Ran's alarm went off. As they didn't have enough bedrooms, Conan was sleeping in Kogoro's room and she in the girl's room.

   Three days had gone by and she hadn't done much. She hadn't spoken to anyone since the evening of her arrival. And the absence of her brother was difficult for her... plus she didn't have a camera any more...

   After brushing her teeth and dressing in the clothes Ran had given her - a blue jacket, grey trousers and a pair of sky-blue boots - she looked around for Conan. He was her only landmark here, not because she didn't know the place, but because of the situation.
   -Well, are you coming? asked Conan.
   She nodded and followed him without saying anything. She had managed to make him understand that she didn't want to be alone.

   They went to Agasa's house.
   -Is Mouri-san that bad?
   -He's good for nothing!
   -Don't be so hard on him. He used to be a good policeman...
   In three days, no investigation. It didn't matter to the former schoolgirl, but not to the detective. The men in black had to be found, but given the poison they had created, was that going to be easy?

   Yoko listened to little of the conversation, being no more concerned than that. She was making sure that no-one knew Conan's identity, and Ran had dropped by again to ask where Shinichi was.
   I wonder what Yosuke's doing...
  -Ha, that reminds me! I've made a device for you!
   The brunette's curiosity was piqued.
   -What's it for? Conan asked, intrigued
   -A bow tie that changes your voice! All you have to do is turn the button on the back and your voice changes tone!
   The former high school student tried it, and it worked.
   -Can I try it too?
   He agreed to lend it to her while he talked to Agasa.
   Maybe it's not so bad being here at the moment!

   -I've got something for you too! said the Professor suddenly, handing Yoko a pair of glasses. You won't raise any doubts if you meet people you know. What's more, you'll look even more like Shinichi this way!
   -Ha heu... bah... thanks...
   She put them on her nose. It felt strange, but if she had to...

   -So you're trying to get your girlfriend's father to do some investigations so you can solve them?
   -Ran's not my girlfriend! Conan almost shouted. And yes, she is. So I'm going to need your help so she doesn't have any doubts.
   -I can always try, but I can't promise anything...
   The two children had just got home, and couldn't talk any more about the subject of the journey home.

   -Are you Conan-kun, Yoko-chan?
   Ran's voice was heard when they returned.
   -You must be hungry. I'll prepare the meal right away!
   Kogoro had just woken up thanks to the alarm clock by his side. Immediately, he rushed to the TV.
   -Yōkooo-chan! he shouted
   Why did I name myself Yoko?

   Someone knocked on the door before starting to open it.
   -Who dares disturb me? Kogoro grumbled as he went to the door. Detective Mouri, what is it?
   -Good evening Mouri-san... I'd like to...
   -Oh no! We're not working today! If it's for an investigation, come back... tomorrow...
   The voice was that of Okino Yōko. Kogoro had recognised her and called out her name. Yoko had turned around. It was the first time she had seen someone she knew. She had long wavy hair tied back. It didn't take long for the detective to get dressed, while his daughter was astonished.

   Once everyone had calmed down and was able to listen, the idol told them about her problem. She had the impression of being followed by a strange person. Her objects were changing places, she was finding photos of herself and receiving hang-up calls all the time. She had even been followed before. The person who was with her, Yamagichi, an impresario, asked her to be discreet about the investigation. Then it was time to sign some papers.
   Except that this was for autographs...
   Yoko was ashamed all the same... He was enjoying it all too much...

   -Can I come with you?
   As everyone was about to leave, Yoko asked to come along. She was so embarrassed it made her blush.
   -It's true that it can be interesting to see what a star's flat looks like! What do you think, Conan-kun?
   Thank you!
   Ran had reassured the young girl.

   Before entering the building, Kogoro shouted happily, which hardly made him discreet. Yamagichi-san was panicked.
   Then it was time to enter the flat. Yoko was looking out of the corridor window.
   -So you live on the twenty-fifth floor! Kogoro exclaimed.
   -Yes! It's a lovely view! Come and see for yourself!
   Okino Yōko hadn't finished her sentence when she stepped back and shouted. In the flat, a body.