Chapter 120 - Doyle

Yoko grabbed Doyle and went over to Ai to give him to her. Ai took him in her arms.
   -It's a strange race... The "Papillon"... Genta thought.
   -It's a name that comes from France. It's said that at the French court, in the eighteenth century, it was a very popular breed. Queen Marie-Antoinette herself is said to have owned one. Explained one of the men who had come after Agasa.
   The queen herself... at least she looked good...

   The man also explained that Doyle had won a beauty contest and that people had wanted to buy her. A woman interfered with the conversation. She too was there to pick up items. Very quickly, she went round the rooms, followed by the man. Both were dog breeders.
   -Well, Haibara-san? Did you find anything? Ayumi finally asked.
   -Did you?
   -You don't often get a chance like this! Make the most of it! Mitsuhiko encouraged.
   -There's lots of interesting stuff! Genta added.
   Yeah, but there's no camera!

   The woman concerned didn't even take a few seconds to think about it, looking at Doyle.
   -In that case, I'll take that dog... Yes... Like Marie-Antoinette... When I fall on the field of honour, he'll do like Tisbee, the Queen's dog, and follow the same route as his mistress, throwing himself into the Seine... Won't he? replied the redhead, cuddling the animal.
   Yoko shivered at her friend's words. She didn't like what she was saying at all, and even less the sad look on her face. She wanted to cheer him up, but how?
   I could always try...
   The girl in glasses approached her friend, shouting "surprise hug". The latter avoided the former high school student who almost fell over. She tried again, but Ai moved away, still looking a little sad.
   Raaah! she could let herself go!

   Suddenly, Arthur arrived in the room where everyone was, starting to pull his master towards the entrance. The children followed the man and the animal. In front of the door stood a woman with her dog.
   -I'm sorry," she said. I've pressed the doorbell several times but it doesn't seem to be working... Arthur was kind enough to fetch you... So please don't scold him...
   -No. I'm sorry I didn't hear you... Kano apologised.

   The newcomer untied her dog who went out to play with Arthur. Ayumi was pleased to see that the two got on perfectly well. My wife's dog was called Christie.
   -I don't mind, but you'd better not leave them together. They'll give you little bastards that you won't be able to sell for much!
   The woman who had arrived earlier approached the group in front of the entrance.
   -If you don't care, why intervene then? If they make bastards, as you say, the most important thing is that they have a good master... Yoko retorted.
   -Yoko-kun...
   Agasa was embarrassed by the young girl's intervention.
   -I'm just telling the truth...

   Suddenly, a ringing sound was heard. Twelve strokes. The midday bell. Doyle jumped out of Ai's arms and disappeared into the corridor. His owner explained that it was time for his treat. He led the children into the kitchen, grabbed a cheese and headed for the Japanese room, explaining the Butterfly's habits.
   When he opened the door to the Japanese room, everyone noticed that the animal was missing, as well as the cushion he used to use. From there, the search began.
   -Doyle! Show yourself!
   -Where are you?!
   -Doooooyle!
   The children called him but to no avail. He was nowhere to be found.
   -I've searched the room! announced the kid in glasses as she went into the room in question.

   The former schoolgirl began to search the room from top to bottom, even though two of the guests were in the room. What stopped her was Arthur and Christie barking from the garden. She hesitated, wanting to search the room again.
   Well...?
   Looking towards the stereo, she noticed that the back was slightly open. Out of curiosity, she decided to have a look.
   But it's... !