Chapter 36 - Alcohol...

-It's you, madam!
    Shinichi, who had become himself again following a succession of events, pointed at the victim's wife.

   Yoko watched the expressions of the family members who more or less believed the detective. Then her gaze turned to the schoolboy, who looked in a bad way.
   I don't know if it's because he's ill or what... but his condition is worrying...
   -It's an imaginary murder in a closed room! Heiji announced, after listening to the first detective's deduction. Is that what you mean, Kudo?
   -Yes, that's what I mean.

   The sick man continued to explain his deduction, talking about the culprit's key ring. For the motive, Shinichi asked Yoko to bring back the photo. She went to fetch it, under the questioning gaze of those around her. The photo in question was still in the room where Conan was resting. Or at least, where he was supposed to be resting.
   He could have asked me to go and get it first!

   The woman was quick to confess her crime after seeing the photo. It was a photo of her, young, and looked very much like the girl her son wanted to marry. Then she revealed that it was her daughter from a previous marriage. The culprit had had her with a man killed by the victim.

   Yoko turned to Shinichi, who was leaning against a piece of furniture. His breathing was ragged and panting.
   -S... Shinichi-niichan!? Are you all right?
   -I'll be fine... he replied.
   Ran and Heiji turned around as they heard the detective cough.
   -Are you okay, Shinichi? worried the high school girl
   He's almost worse than before...
   -I've just got a bit of a cold...
   You're a liar! !
   -How did you find out about this? Are you spying on us or something? Finished by asking Heiji
   -I warned her when I was with Conan! I tried to explain it to her as precisely as possible... I told Ran-neechan.
   -Yoko-chan... is that true?

   The teenager's gaze changed, as she had a few doubts.
   -Yes! Conan lent me his phone, you'll have to ask him.
   -But then... Shinichi... I'm sure you're not far off every time! You could never have got here so quickly! You never ask me how I'm doing! Does it make you laugh to see me worried?! Why do you do such a thing... ?
   I'd come up with a good excuse for her quick arrival, but she didn't listen to me...

   Ran's eyes filled with tears.
   -Who do you think I am, Ran? I'm a detective, aren't I? And when it comes to you, hearing your voice is enough for me to know...
   He started coughing again. Ran panicked and left the room, going to fetch a doctor.
   I can't do anything... I can't do anything...

   The young girl ran her hand through her hair, head down. She absolutely had to do something.
   What could have caused this... Remember what's happened so far... Conan was ill... then the other detective arrived and... gave him some al... cool... Right after that... he got worse... So it was the alcohol...
   Yoko turned her head towards Shinichi who almost fell over, hand on his chest, wincing in pain. He was heading for the exit when he was caught by the girl with the glasses.
   -I'm going to check that the coast is clear so you can hide somewhere... she whispered.

   She left the room, and checked the stairs to see if Ran was downstairs. She heard his voice in the corridor, and went into the room to find out which one it was. She gave a quick nod to the sufferer, before entering the room where the boy's clothes were. She fetched them and headed for the stairs. She climbed the banister to slide down more quickly and opened the first room, just beside the entrance. She put the clothes down and helped Shinichi down, making sure no-one saw them.
   -Shinichi! The doctor's coming! Shinichi?
   Ran's voice came from the top of the stairs. She was looking for the detective who'd gone into hiding. The girl opened the front door.
   -Ouch-

   She was in such a hurry that she fell. She got up again, the schoolgirl descending the stairs and heading in her direction.
   -Yoko-chan? What are you doing at the door? And where's Shinichi?
   -Erm... Shinichi-niichan left saying he had something to do! I wanted to catch up with him but he went faster than me! she laughed nervously
   -He should have stayed! He's ill! Didn't you hurt yourself?
   The girl with the glasses shook her head.
   I've had more pain than that...

   The door to the toilet opened, and Conan went out to see Ran, but he collapsed under Ran's worried screams.
   ... She'll take care of it... but I seem to have forgotten... My badge!
   She went back into the office and looked behind the objects on the shelf for her badge. Then she turned to the police, remembering another problem.
   Agasa-hakase told us not to show that Shinichi was alive... I have to ask the police not to say anything...