Chapter 59 - Kaito Kid

Conan jumped off the bike as soon as he reached his destination. He entered the building immediately. Yoko got off her bike.
   -He could wait for me!
   She grabbed the strap that allowed her to carry Agasa's invention. She was surprised by the weight of the bike. She thought it would be heavier. But it was actually quite light. Then she headed towards the building she'd just entered.
   -Where did it go?
   She headed for the lift. Of the two provided, one was in use. And this one went to the last floor. So she took the other one.

   Yoko, holding the strap of her bicycle, was somewhat surprised by the wind blowing across the roof. Then her gaze lingered around her. The view was magnificent. She'd have plenty of photo opportunities. Finally, she spotted someone dressed in white, with a cape and a top hat. Opposite her was Conan. The girl with the telescope came towards them.
   -Oh, look! Helicopters! It looks like they're coming our way!
   What the hell is he doing?
  The young girl almost laughed.
   -Tell me something, kid... you're no ordinary kid.
   -Edogawa Conan, detective.
   I shouldn't get in the way...

   The young girl took a few steps back. She was holding back from taking photos, partly interested in what was happening. She quickly realised that the man in white was the famous thief, whom Conan called "Kaito Kid". The latter took out a walkie-talkie, and used a totally different voice to the one he had used during the previous conversation. And he used several voices.
   Wow... that's really impressive...
   Yoko stared at him, her eyes shining. The voice modulator node was something she found extraordinary, but for this thief to do it without it was magic.
   But she couldn't help admiring the arrival of the police. The little girl stepped back again, letting them pass in front of her. They had just surrounded this "Kaito". But the thief quickly retaliated, using a flare grenade. The young girl put her arm in front of her dazzled eyes. Once the light disappeared, there was no-one left.
   Impressive!

   A few weeks passed. Yoko clenched her fists over her outfit. She was not at all comfortable. Ran had made her wear a dress after being invited to a Suzuki family party on a boat. Ran's friend's father made a speech, before letting his wife speak.
   -I gave each of you a little box when we boarded the ship. I'm going to ask you to open it. I present you with my declaration of war on this pretentious thief!
   Following the words of the woman with the short black hair, the adults opened the famous box she was talking about. Only the adults had had it. You could hear their surprise.

   The girl with the tied hair glanced at Ran's box. A black pearl.
   Don't tell me that's...
   -Yes! You're all holding the symbol of our family, also the object coveted by "Kaito Kid". It's the Black Star! Of course, only one of them is true. And only I know its owner! All the others are copies!
   They must be a rich family to have fun doing that...

   Yoko moved away, heading for the tables where there was plenty to drink. After avoiding the guests, she took herself a fruit juice, before returning to Ran. Or at least, Sonoko.
   -Where's Ran-neechan? the girl asked.
   -She's gone after the kid with the glasses.
   Where did Conan go again...
   She didn't ask for any more details and chewed her straw, moving away from the girl with the short chestnut hair.
   He's a pain, disappearing like that without saying anything... he could warn me...
   The young woman drank her drink in one gulp.