Chapter 86 - A Purple Handkerchief

Yoko stared at the corpse on the ground, gritting her teeth. She had to get back to Conan. He would know what to do.
   -Calm down, please! We are the police! Please stay where you are!
   Damn it! If Megure-keibu recognises me...
   The young girl quickly removed her glasses and the elastic band tying her hair back. She put them back in her pocket.
   Let's hope I'm not recognised...

   The police officers approached the chandelier to examine the body. The former schoolgirl took the opportunity to slip away discreetly and return to Conan and Ai.
   -What's next? she asked once she'd joined the other two children.
   -... You're hurt... remarked the detective
   -I wasn't far from the chandelier either...
   The boy sighed as he looked around. He was listening to the police. Nobody had really seen what had happened.
   -The chandelier chain was old and the politician just happened to be under it... I don't think there's any reason to keep us in this mascara where there's a dead body... Says a man with half-length hair.
   -But someone warned us there would be a crime, didn't they? How do you explain that?
   It's true that Conan warned...

   Suddenly, one of the people eating spat something out. The young boy went to pick it up.
  -What did you pick up? Yoko asked as her brother returned from under the table.
   He opened his hand to see what it was. Half a link.

   The three children looked at what Conan had found before he turned his head towards the ceiling as a woman spoke. She was talking about the ploy the criminal had used, and the fact that there was no trace of it.
   A pistol with a silencer would do just as well...
   Ai grabbed Conan and Yoko's hands, leading them towards the entrance to the room.
   -Eh- Where are you going? asked the detective, surprised.
   -We're getting out of here... We're wasting our time and it's dangerous. Besides, if Megure-keibu sees us, how are you going to explain our presence here? Explained the former member of the organisation.
   That's why I loosened my hair... Even if I'm the only one it works with...
   -Our only clue is that piece of chain you found earlier... Even you can't find the culprit with such a small clue...
   -And with two clues?
   The boy took out of his pocket a purple handkerchief with the words "Farewell ceremony in honour of director Sakamaki" written on it. Then he pointed to the other guests wearing different coloured handkerchiefs. This must have had something to do with an event that should have taken place.
   -Shall we find out who it belongs to? asked Yoko.
   -Yoko asked.

   Conan nodded before leading the girls out, putting on his hood beforehand. Once towards the policemen, the boy spoke in a childish voice.
   -Say, Keiji-san. Could we please go to the toilet?
   -Yes...
   The man opened the door. At the same time, several flashes of light dazzled the children, who instinctively closed their eyes.
   Are there any reporters yet?!
   The brown-haired girl grabbed the hands of her brother and friend and pulled them out. She passed between the journalists, trying to ignore the cameras, the only thing that could distract her. Once past, she stopped.
   -We're out...

   The former high school student didn't waste any time and went to the reception desk.
   -Excuse me... Could I have the list of people who have had a purple handkerchief?
   -The people we gave a purple handkerchief to? What was it for? Asked the lady at reception
   He could at least wait for us...
   Yoko approached.
   -We found one and thought that maybe the owner would like it back. she explained
   -... Well... Here you go...
   She took out the list and showed it to the two children. There were only seven names.