Chapter 39 - A psychopath is on the prowl

Yoko dropped to the floor. With the help of Conan and Mitsuhiko, she had emptied the shelves full of books. She turned her head towards the former pupil, who was leafing through the books.
   I'll go and see on the other side if they need any help... they don't seem to have made any progress...

   The books on Genta and Ayumi's side were still in the library. The young girl struggled to her feet and went to the other side of the bookcase.
   -How are you getting on?
   The two children turned their heads towards their friend.
   -But you're the one who didn't do anything! grumbled Genta
   -You've got to be kidding me...
   She looked at the books on the floor, and turned her gaze to one of the shelves. There were books there, or at least pages. Yoko went over and pushed them. She heard Conan and Mitsuhiko receive them. The boy with the glasses rushed over to where his "sister" was.
   -What are you doing?!
   I shouldn't have pushed them...
   -Sorry Conan, there were some books left... without edges...
   -What?

   He returned to the side where the objects had fallen, and picked them up. The rest of the group looked curiously at the contents inside.
   -Drugs! All these strange books must contain some... announced the boy
   -But who does it belong to? Ayumi asked
   -Certainly the director... by chance, Tamada-san discovered it and was killed...
   -Who's this 'Tamada'? Interrupted Yoko, who didn't know much about the story
   -He's the person who disappeared... replied Conan
   -What are we going to do now? Ayumi panicked.
   The young girl with her hair tied back ran towards the glass door.
   -I'll call the police! she said as she left the room

   Yoko ran through the corridors, not feeling very reassured. She had the feeling she was being watched, so she kept her guard up.
   The phones are here...
   Out of breath, she grabbed the phone and dialled the police.
   Is it me or... There's no dial tone?!
   She put the object down and turned back, still running. She had to stop to tie the laces on her boots, which had come undone in her run.
   Shit! Shit! I've got to hurry!

   As the former schoolgirl nervously laced up her boots, she felt a presence behind her and saw a rope in front of her. She let out a scream, before quickly slipping under the rope and sliding to the ground. The bespectacled girl ran into the dark corridors.
   -Yoko-chan!
   -Yoko!

   Conan and Ayumi's voices echoed through the corridors, so she was able to join them. She collapsed, breathing heavily.
   -Oe! Are you all right? asked the former high school student, joined by Genta and Mitsuhiko.
   -The... The phone... No... dial tone...
   She couldn't finish her sentence. The museum director scared her, she couldn't hide it.

   Yoko straightened her head, looking at the outstretched hand in front of her. Conan was offering to write down what had happened. The little girl sat down, beginning to calm her breathing, and traced the hiragana with her fingers to explain the situation.
   -What?!
   -What's wrong, Conan? Genta asked.
   He stood up, before announcing that the headmaster was still there.
   -And... and you... ? What were you... doing? asked the brunette
   -Conan had found where the body was hiding! replied Mitsuhiko
   -We were heading for the lift! Added Ayumi
   Yoko grabbed Conan's outstretched hand to help him up. Then the group headed for the lift,

   In front of the metal door, four children. Conan had been gone for a few minutes. Yoko had managed to catch her breath, but she still needed to rest. So she sat, pressed against the wall.
   The former detective arrived, explaining that he had gone to set the lift to manual. The young girl straightened her head.
   -We could go outside... call the police... she suggested.
   -Not until we've found the body...
   Conan pressed the button, sending the lift up.
   -But where's the body? asked Genta.
   -It's on the lift... on the roof!