Chapter 117 - Bomb

Yoko returned to her seat. She had to hold back a sigh. Then she stood up to look at Jodie, having heard her voice.
   I hope I'm not behaving too suspiciously...
   -Don't do anything stupid, cool kid! We'll get a good chance!
   The woman in glasses turned her head towards Ai.
   -Oh, there's nothing to be scared of! We'll be all right! We'll soon be saved!
   She could be scared of you!
   The brown-eyed girl gritted her teeth.
   -What's the name of our little red riding hood?

   Conan was about to answer when the former member of the organisation grabbed his hand. Yoko looked at her brother's and her friend's hands, before straightening her head.
   -What's your name, little red ridding hood? asked Jodie.
   -We've no idea! She was there when we arrived. I let Conan stand next to her, as she was already on the glass side and I don't like being on the aisle side! But I think it would be better to leave her alone, I don't think she's in any state to talk given the turn of events. replied the former schoolgirl rather curtly before sitting down.
   She sighed for good. She hoped her lie would go down well.
   I'd better get back to my surveillance...

   -Oe! Old man! What are you doing?!
   ... This is too good to be random!
   Yoko was sure of it. She'd seen the woman blow a bubble out of her gum and then remove it from her cheek, shooting in the direction of one of the two men at the front of the bus. She had to talk to Conan about it, but how? She was well guarded and couldn't move. Even if she could discreetly stand up to speak, she would be betrayed by her voice. She still had her badge, but it would be Conan who would be discovered, and the young girl thought that this time, it wouldn't just be a warning.

   The bus had changed direction. It was no longer in the city.
   -Oe! The guy with the glasses and the cold at the back! Come closer! ordered one of the two men.
   -Well then, hurry up! We're not going to kill you! added the other
   Huh? What are they planning?
   The man next to Yoko stood up, as did Araide, and the two made their way to the front. A few seconds later, the bus entered a tunnel, plunging all the passengers into darkness.
   Perfect! I can slip more discreetly towards Conan!

   Yoko stood up and crawled under Conan's seat. It was quicker and prevented her being spotted. The detective was surprised but remained silent, understanding what she was doing there. Immediately, the girl explained her deduction, hoping that it was correct.
   -The girl with the gum, at the back! Come over here!
   The woman got up and went to the front of the vehicle. The young boy's expression changed. He seemed to have understood something. He grabbed his badge and when Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko picked it up after the bell, he motioned for them to put it to his ear. Then the former schoolboy explained his plan.

   The bus accelerated out of the tunnel. Yoko was between Ai, still in pain, and Conan, standing, holding one of the bombs. It had "Stop" written on it backwards, in lipstick.
   -Don't be silly... You'll be all right if you do as you're told... Said one of the two criminals, without his ski suit.
   -I think you're lying to us, I think you're going to kill us all! interrupted the kid with glasses. We've all seen your faces so, if we don't do anything, we're all going to get killed by this bomb!
   You like taking risks...
   One of the two criminals wanted to shoot but was prevented by his colleague. The two finally noticed the inscription.
   -Quickly! shouted Conan to the driver.

   Ai slammed on the brakes. Yoko made sure that neither Conan fell nor Ai was hurt. Once stopped, the detective went into the alley and put one of the armed men to sleep.
   -Araide-sensei! Hold that girl's arm! Her watch contains the trigger mechanism for the bomb!
   The girl with the glasses looked at what was happening.
   -Wait...

   The accomplice had got up and was pointing his gun at the boy, but before her sister could act, Jodie stopped him by knocking him to the ground.
   -Oh! I'm so sorry! I lost my balance because of the brake!
   She did it on purpose...
   -You've got to be kidding me! Are you? The trigger...
   The gun was jammed. The criminal couldn't shoot. Yoko moved a little closer to the English teacher as discreetly as possible.
   -You're not clever... don't you know that on tokalevs, if you put the firing pin in the middle position, the gun's safety mode engages? Before hijacking a bus, it's better to study a bit anyway...
   How does she know that?!
   -What?! Who the hell are you?!
   -Shhhhh... It's a big secret. I'm sorry, I can't tell you... A secret makes a woman, woman...
    Who is she, seriously... She's... Nan, don't jump to conclusions! I don't have any solid proof... But one thing's for sure: she's not a teacher!

   -Aah... We mustn't stay here! The bomb mechanism's been triggered! Probably because of the sudden braking! We've only got thirty seconds left !
   Is this a joke ?!