Chapter 99 - Shūshirō

Genta, Mitsuhiko, Conan, Ai and Yoko were at the police headquarters, accompanying Ayumi. The day before, a fire had broken out and the little girl had seen the arsonist.
   -What did the man's eyes look like? asked Inspector Sato.
   -Well... A bit like a fox's! Just like that! replied the child with the headband, showing off.
   Yoko laughed.
   -Well, roughly speaking... like that?
   A slight unease set in among the children as they sent the drawing of the policewoman. The group began to criticise her, saying she couldn't draw everything.
   -Is there anyone better? the redhead finally asked.
   -What do you want me to do? Tomokawa-san, the robot portrait specialist, has the flu!
   -I can try to do the drawing if you like... suggested the girl with glasses.
   -Can you draw, Yoko-chan?
Mitsuhiko was surprised.
   -Yes! I rarely draw, but I can!
   It was Akihiko who taught me...
   -We can always let her try... We can't put out an APB with your drawing, Sato-san...

   Takagi had just arrived in the company of another policeman, Shiratori.
   -One might think you have a penchant for surrealism... said Shiratori.
   -Well, shall I take care of it?
   If my style is more recognisable than Sato's...
   -First we have to be sure it's the arsonist in question... says Shiratori
   Mitsuhiko and Genta started to get angry, saying that the policeman was calling Ayumi a liar. It was Conan who proved that it was indeed the man they were looking for, based on his outfit, his location and the smell of petrol. The policewoman offered to return to the scene of the fire, saying she just had to drop in somewhere.

   The group had arrived. Inspector Sato walked over to a pole in front of it. A flower lay at the foot of it.
   Did someone die?
   Yoko knew the feeling. Putting your hands together, keeping silent in front of a particular place.
   -Are you all right, Yoko-chan? Ayumi suddenly asked.
   -How are you?
   Immersed in her memories, the young girl hadn't noticed that she had tears in her eyes.
   -I'm fine!
   She rubbed her eyes and smiled.
   -Were you thinking about the death of your parents? Conan deduced, whispering so as not to be heard by the others.
   -Just as you guessed... I know I shouldn't think about it in front of the children, otherwise they wouldn't understand... she almost laughed.
   -You...

   Conan couldn't finish his sentence, cut off by Shiratori.
   -Yes, I just remembered! It's the anniversary of the death of Sato-san's father, Sato Masayoshi-San! He died in the line of duty!
   -Did he?
   Takagi and the children turned around at these words.
   -Yes, it was just eighteen years ago... he was chasing a thief and was hit by a truck at that moment... Unfortunately, it was raining that day and the ambulance took a long time to arrive... Megure-keibu told me that he breathed his last without the ambulance, surrounded by his family... I believe this case was called...
   -Shūshirō. "The Shūshirō case": the name comes from the phrase that the policeman who was hit by a lorry repeated tirelessly as he watched the thief flee. At the time, everything possible was done, but because of the death of the policeman, who had probably understood the mystery of this case, the case was put on hold and the statute of limitations has been running out for the last three years. Explained the kid with glasses.
   His sister stepped on his foot to indicate that he wasn't supposed to know that.
   What an idiot...
   He just managed to catch himself, explaining that he knew that thanks to Kogoro, and just after threw a look at his sister, a look indicating that she didn't have to hurt him. The conversation went on without a hitch.