Chapter 74 - Mysterious Castle

Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko were grumbling. Agasa had forgotten the camping tents. Yoko didn't mind so much, preferring the warmth of her own bed, even if it wasn't a real one.
   -I think tonight we'll sleep in the wild, in this car... sighed Conan.
   -If there'd been more room, it would have been better... added the brown-eyed brunette.
   The children were offended, wondering if there wasn't a building nearby. Luckily, they came across a castle.

   Once the car was parked, they all got out. They looked at the big building.
   I could take some great photos!
   The former schoolgirl couldn't stay in her thoughts for long. She was distracted by Genta climbing over the fence.
   -Genta-kun! she shouted.
   But the boy didn't listen and went over to the other side. He was caught by someone who shouted at him.
   -Aah! Where did you come from, kid?! You're trespassing!
   -Excuse him! Yoko shouted, drawing the man's attention.
   -We don't want to do anything wrong... ! Agasa panicked.
   He explained the situation. Another man intervened before the children's current guardian was fired. This person allowed them to spend the night in the castle.

   Once inside, the children looked around excitedly. Ai, Conan and Yoko were calmer than they were, although the brunette was admiring the beautiful garden.
   -Oh, a horse! cried Ayumi as she ran past a white horse's head, followed by her friends.
   Giant chess pieces!
   The young girl came closer, examining the horse piece in front of her.
   -There are black ones too! Genta was astonished.
   -But why only the head? wondered Mitsuhiko.
   He's not that clever... !
   Yoko almost laughed.

   Ai explained what it was. She also pointed out that the grass looked like a tray.
   The girl with the glasses took out her camera and offered to take a photo of them. Delighted, they accepted and stood in front of a coin. The photographer was able to indulge herself and take lots of photos. She intended to print them out and give them to them.
   I could also take the other pieces!
   The gardener spoke to Agasa, leading everyone into the enormous house. The inside was just as big as the outside. There were three huge frames
   -And as for Madam's son, Takahito-sama, look... he looks exactly like his 'father'...

   Yoko was impressed by the size of the main frame. She refocused on their guide, who was showing the two slightly smaller frames. One had been a historian, an adopted husband and had respect for the father. The other was jealous.
   -And apparently she often told Sadaaki-sama...
   -"Father is just an intellectual who criticises everything...".
   An elderly woman in a wheelchair intervened in the discussion. The man apologised for bringing back bad memories to the head of the family. After a moment of melancholy, she turned to the guests.
   -And who are these people?
   -Ah, yes... it seems they're friends of his and that this man is a scientist.
   It's a shame half his inventions aren't really functional...
   The brunette with glasses refrained from saying.
   -Ooh, that's amusing... I'd really like him to solve the mystery that's hidden in this castle...
   A mystery?
   The gardener explained that his father had said, before he died, that there was a treasure in the castle.
   I don't like the sound of that...

   The head of the house asked for her daughter, who had died in a fire, to be sent to her room.
   -Hey, is there a room where you can see the pawns on the chessboard in the garden? Conan asked.
   The gardener nodded and guided the children to the corresponding rooms.

   Yoko decided to go to Mitsuhiko's side, Genta, Conan and Ayumi being in the next room.
   -You can see it from this room too! remarked the freckled boy, as Genta tried to see.
   The greedy member of the gang ran to see where his friend was. He leaned out of the window and slid down.
   -Genta! cried the girl with the glasses, grabbing him by the step to pull him up.
   Conan rushed into the room where the boy and his sister were.
   -But you've no idea how to bend over! You idiot! shouted the former schoolgirl, pulling the cheek of the boy who'd almost fallen.
   -What the hell are you doing? shouted the detective.
   But immediately, he was intrigued by a wall.
   -What's going on? asked Yoko, a little annoyed at the boys.
   -The two windows are stuck to the wall, so there's something between the two walls...
   -Hmm?