Chapter 14 - A poor young girl

-How weird!
   -What's up Ran-nee-chan?
   -I've tried calling Hirota Masami-san several times, but I can't get through.
   Ran wanted to know how the reunion went between the daughter and the father they'd helped earlier. The number dialled was the right one. Well, maybe.
   -Maybe she hasn't gone home yet...
   -Unless she's still with her father in the flat... thought Kogoro
   -Maybe her father has disappeared again...  
   No need to worry Ran!
   -It's likely. Her father seemed very surprised to see her...
   -Stop talking nonsense! I... I've got a bad feeling about this... I'm going to take a look around her flat!
   The schoolgirl started to run off, followed by her father and the boy with glasses. Yoko followed a little further behind, almost falling.

   -Is he dead?!
   Yoko's blood ran cold. Ran had had a bad feeling that turned out to be quite right. And the look on the man's face... the girl held her head.
   -What is it, Yoko? asked Conan.
   -Masami-san's father's expression... it wasn't surprise... more... a mixture of fear...
   -It's true that it's strange...
   The caretaker of the building and Kogoro were talking. The victim had been found hanged. It was murder, according to the police.

   Crouching on the ground, the young girl with her hair tied back was waiting for Kogoro to come out of the police station.
   -Well, Dad?
   The detective had just come out. Yoko suddenly turned her head, feeling that she was being watched; but she saw no one. She decided to concentrate on the detective, who explained that Masami-san had probably gone somewhere, or died. Her glasses had been found. Ran started to cry.
   -Come on, Ran, don't think about it..." tried to reassure her father.
   -Masami-san might have been killed... right?
   -Yes, I'm afraid so. 
   -She was finally able to see her father again... and... and this is what happens to her... it's so unfair!
   -But... she's afraid she's simply been kidnapped! So stop crying... and the police are still searching! Kogoro panicked at his daughter's tears

   Yoko felt uncomfortable. There was nothing she could do. She turned to Conan to ask him to find something to stop Ran crying, but he was lost in thought.
   -Haaaa! he shouted suddenly before laughing, embarrassed.
   -What's happened to you? whispered the girl
   The boy with the glasses dragged the former schoolgirl behind a telephone booth.
   -The first time Masami-san came over, I accidentally put a transmitter on her watch.
   He picked up his glasses, the ones Agasa-hakase had given him a few days earlier, and switched them on. The bright red dot indicating where the transmitter was moved.
   -She's alive...?
   -There's a chance!

   The former detective began to run, passing between people, followed by Yoko. Out of breath, the two finally stopped in front of a pachinko.
   -You think... she's here...? said the brunette, catching her breath.
   -It seems strange to me... but...
   He didn't finish his sentence, before entering the games room. The young girl wanted to follow him, but she was far too exhausted.
   -Get out! This isn't a children's playground!
   Conan was kicked out of the pachinko.
   He's been bothering everyone, or how's it going...

   -Is this the time you come home?! Where have you been?
   -Erm... Not far...
   The children had come home rather late, so Kogoro had told them off. The glasses had stopped working, so it was impossible to keep track of Masami-san.
   Ran had been looking out of the window for some time. She called her father.
   -Don't you think that man's a bit strange? He's been looking this way ever since.
   Yoko went over to the window and looked through.
   -That man...
   -Do you know anything, Yoko-chan?
   -... I'm not sure, but... the other day he was hanging around Hirota-san's place... and when we went to the police station... I... I think he was there... I felt I was being watched...

   The detective in turn approached the window.
   -The inspector was saying that the murderer must have been a very tall man!
   -So it's him... it's him who killed Masami-san's father!
   The schoolgirl's expression had changed completely. It was anger. Rage, even. She opened the window and jumped out, while Kogoro and Conan went to look for him.
   -Where have you taken Masami-san!
   Yoko watched the scene through the window. The man wearing sunglasses got into his car, but Ran kicked out his window and grabbed him.
   She's scary...

   Then came the father, who grabbed the suspect by the jacket.
   -Well then... who are you?!
   -I'm on your side..." stammered the man.
   -What are you talking about?
   -I'm a detective too...
   The young girl could barely hear the conversation from where she was, but sighed with relief when she heard that it wasn't a very nasty person. She didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but saw the suspect take out a photo.