Chapter 98 - Alone

The school day passed normally, although the real Conan was absent. On the way home, after leaving Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko, Yoko let out a long sigh.
   -Said Haibara... Do you know how long your antidote will last?
   -Have you had enough of me already?
   -No, it's not that! It's just that... I admit I'd be interested in taking it!
   -What for?
   -Just... try? Anyway, you'll refuse because I've got no reason to take it...
   -You've understood everything!
   The girl with her hair tied back sighed as she arrived at the detective agency.
   And I didn't get my answer...

   The two younger girls went up the stairs. The brunette stopped for a moment to see if Kogoro was in the agency.
   He's had too much to drink again...
   Seeing him asleep on his desk, she sighed and went upstairs. She entered the room she was occupying and lay down on Ran's bed before falling asleep.

   Yoko woke up, a jacket slung over her shoulders. She managed to identify it by the light of the moon entering the room.
   That's Ran's uniform... Was I so tired that I didn't hear her come in?
   She stood up, looking first around and then at the window.
   -Is it that late?!

   The former schoolgirl left the room. There was no-one in the living room. She headed for Kogoro's room, which was also empty.
   -Maybe on the agency side...
   She opened the front door. There was no light coming from the floor below.
   -Seriously? Am I on my own?
   The young girl sighed before hearing her stomach rumbling. She sighed again.
   I don't even know what to make myself to eat and if Ran comes home and sees me using the gas cooker...
   Not knowing what to do, she decided to go and eat at Cafe Poirot, below the agency. She hadn't really had a chance to go there yet.

   First she went back to Kogoro's room, looking to see if there was any money. Then the girl with the glasses took her jacket and phone and went downstairs. She was reassured to see the lights on.
   -Good evening... She said a little hesitantly.
   -Welcome! greeted a woman with long brown hair.
   Yoko walked over to a table and took out her phone.
   It's true that I'd blocked Yosuke's number... I wonder what he's been sending me lately...
   She looked at her brother's messages.
   -What would you like to order? the waitress suddenly asked.
   -What would you like to order? Erm... It doesn't matter as long as it's food! But I haven't got much money...
   The little girl took out the coins she had swiped.

   After chatting with the woman, she left and the girl with her hair tied back was able to concentrate on her messages again.
   He's really telling me about his day...
   The last message the former schoolgirl had received, dated today, caught her eye.
   "Soon there will be my school trip".
   A school trip, but to where?
   This intrigued her greatly. The year before, she had fallen ill, so she hadn't been able to go on her trip.

   -Here you are!
   The waitress returned with a plate of sandwiches.
   -Thank you. I was wondering...
   -I was wondering... Did you come alone?
   -Yes, I came... But I'm not far at all! I live in the agency just upstairs!
   -I thought I'd seen you somewhere!
   Well... I walk past the café almost every day too...
   -And what's your name?
   The lady sat down opposite the young girl.
   -Yoko... Edogawa Yoko.
   -OK, Yoko-chan. I'm Enomoto Azusa.
   -Right, well...
   She's got a lot of time on her hands...

   Yoko didn't start eating until Azusa had left.
   It's not bad...
  The bespectacled girl put her phone away before finishing her meal. Then she paid and returned to the agency.
   I hope I won't be alone for too long...
   She went into Ran's room and set up his bed before lying down on it, falling asleep quickly.