Chapter 55 - A Kidnapping Case

The police arrived at the concert hall's offices.
   -Has the kidnapper contacted you?
   Megure abruptly opened the door, speaking loudly. His gaze was rather sombre.
   The group of young detectives were waiting off to the side, listening to the policemen's discussion. Yoko was tapping her foot, Conan was holding Takayama Minami's bag, and the rest said nothing.
   -Inspector! We've checked the number plate the children gave us. As we thought, it's a stolen car.
   Of course... it wasn't going to be that easy...

   The young girl sighed before concentrating on a noise. The telephone ringing. The inspector answered it.
   -Hello? Megure speaking... And the other two? What do you want from them? Do you want money? Or... A bag?!
   The bag Conan has? It's true she'd forgotten it...
   -I understand. I'll send one of my men immediately... The kids... ? You mean the... continued the policeman
   His expression changed as he looked at the children. The little group had more or less understood the situation.
   -No! I can't put these children at such risk... I'm sorry, but I can't accept your request!
   -We'll do it! Yoko said loudly, putting her hands on her hips. Won't we?
   -We couldn't hope for better... ! added Conan.
   -They're right! shouted Genta
   -We can't just sit back and wait while the Two-Mix are taken hostage! Affirmed Mitsuhiko
   -I'll be strong too! announced Ayumi
   The Detective Boys were determined to rescue the two kidnapped girls. Megure picked up the phone again.
   -... The booth at Kudanzaka's exit?

   The conversation ended. The caller's location had been established, but it wasn't clear enough to take action. The concert was going to be cancelled, except that Conan promised to find them before it started. Immediately afterwards, he left with the rest of the children.
   What have we got ourselves into?

   Yoko caught her breath, while Conan answered the phone at the appointed place. She moved closer to her "brother" and rested her head against the phone. The criminal pointed to the metro. The kid with the glasses lied and said he'd dropped my bag in a gutter to get information about what he wanted. Then the kids got on the metro.
   Conan took out the can, and started writing things down in a notebook.
   -What are you doing? asked Mitsuhiko.
   -I suppose he's writing the lyrics... From what I understand, the culprit wants this tape... or rather, the culprits... sighed Yoko
   -What do you mean? Ayumi asked
   -There must be something in the words..." replied Conan.

   The girl in glasses yawned. She wasn't in a better position to help. She turned her gaze to the little girl in the headband, who looked sad.
   -Don't worry, Ayumi-chan! We're going to find the Two-Mix! After all, we're the Detective Boys, we can't fail! reassured the former schoolgirl
   -You're right!
   The two girls looked at each other, smiling.

   The group of children continued to change underground trains, to answer calls...
   -When's it going to stop... complained Yoko, while Conan was still answering the phone.
   This time, the young girl didn't take the time to listen. She felt like she was going round in circles.
  -Give you the tape... Can't I do it?
   -What's going on, Conan? Genta asked.
   The boy hung up the phone, before whispering to the group to go to the toilet, where he'd explain the situation.

   -So? tell us! Mitsuhiko ordered.
  Yoko was drinking from the tap in the toilet, while the small group was in a booth. She could still hear the conversation.
   -Did the Two-Mix say anything else during the radio interview? Conan asked, as the young girl went into the cubicle.
   -They just said that the idea for the song came to them when they were passing a temple... I think it was 'Shouenji' time...

   There was silence as the boy with the glasses pondered. Then he ran his hand through his hair.
   -What's the matter? asked the former high school student
   -I had an idea, but it would have worked if it was Ayumi who had to deliver the tape...
   -What do you mean? asked the little girl in the headband
   -It's up to Yoko to deliver the tape, but she doesn't have a hood on her jumper...
   -... Let me handle it then!
   -But it's...
   -You have your plans, I have mine... the most important thing is that it works!
   -And his plans, however twisted, are working!
   Mitsuhiko... my plans are not twisted... shut your... !
   The former detective finally agreed to let his "sister" go and deliver what the criminals wanted. The girl with her hair tied back was going to do her best.