Chapter 10 - A Fatal Misunderstanding

-The murderer is Ikezawa Yuko-san! Arrest her!
   The police left in a hurry under the orders of Mouri Kogoro. Then they returned with the suspect.
   -That's enough now! What right have you to accuse me? Just because of an earring?! Let me go home, I've got work to do!

   Yoko woke up. She had fallen asleep from doing nothing and from the accumulation of fatigue caused by her poor sleeping habits. But Yuko's cries had roused her from her sleep, which hadn't lasted long.
   -What's going on? she asked, moving towards Conan and rubbing her eyes.
   -Kogoro accused the person who found the earring and...
   He didn't finish his sentence, being struck by the resemblance of Yōko and Yuko's backs. The girl with the glasses could see that resemblance too. But something else had caught the young detective's eye, and he decided to go and find Ran's father.

   -Er... please... ?
   -What do you want now!?
   -That is...
   -Conan-kun! Come over here! Daddy's busy!
   -But, the lady who came earlier is...
   -You're trying to help them... ? I'm trying. But you're only six, aren't you? That's too young to be a detective.
   -Yes, Ran-neechan...
   -Try not to leave Yoko-chan on her own, okay?
   In fact, I'd rather be in my own corner, waiting...
   -If Shinichi were here...

   Ran's expression had suddenly changed. She hugged Conan, looking sad.
   -... he'd have no trouble solving this case...
   But he's here...
   Like her 'brother', she hoped to regain her appearance soon. The sooner she got back, the better.

   Ikezawa Yuko kept shouting that she was innocent and that it was her first time here. She grabbed a mini Statue of Liberty and lit it.
   A lighter?
   -Hooo! Is that a lighter? I thought it was just a funny statue! You've never been here before? And yet you guessed it was a lighter! You're really good!
   Yoko laughed a little. Conan's very childish voice was both funny and cute.

   Meanwhile, the suspect's expression had changed. She tried to defend herself and ended up confessing that she had come, and that the man who had been killed had assaulted her, and that she had just pushed him away before leaving immediately. She had come in order to make a scandal about Okino Yōko. She wasn't lying, you could see it on her face.
   -Chief! We know the identity of the dead man! Fujie Akiyoshi, 22. He was at Konan high school before working at the Kakubeni company.
   Yōko's expression changed in turn. She explained that she knew the person, formerly her boyfriend, but that he had left her. Yamagichi had wanted to hide this singer's past.

   -This time I've got it! Yamagichi-san, it's you! You wanted to get rid of that man, not wanting the media to know he was Okino Yōko's ex-boyfriend, or it would create a scandal! When you found him in this flat, you had a violent argument, and you killed him! Kogoro announced.
   Yoko looked at Conan to see what he thought. Conan kicked an ashtray, knocking the bad detective unconscious.
   The deduction changed completely.
   He's using his voice modulator...

   Conan managed to catch the man's bad deduction. Yamagichi could only be innocent, having no good alibi. Okino Yōko was also on the list of suspects, but the lack of an alibi proved it wasn't her. Ikezawa Yuko was also crossed off the list, having concealed nothing about the crime scene. A suicide. The person had thrown himself on the knife, which he had placed in the mirror. This, because of the resemblance between Yuko and Yōko. The case was closed.

   Three days later, the snow was falling. Yoko, Ran and Conan were in the street, discussing Fujie Akiyoshi's suicide.
   -Oh, it's Yōko! She's very brave. She's already recovered after all that! Ran said, looking at a screen where Okino Yōko was singing. I'm not up to it at all... I'm not as brave as her... Ever since Shinichi disappeared...
   -You can't sleep... sighed Yoko, looking away so as not to see the crying schoolgirl.
   She knew that, seeing as she too didn't sleep much. In her eyes, it was her brother who had disappeared, even if she was the one who was far from him. Then she moved closer to Conan and whispered to him.
   -Maybe you should call him, eh?
   -...

   That evening, a call came in. Ran's face lit up.
   She's lucky to be with him all the time... if only I could... too...