Chapter 113 - A New Death

A burning warehouse. That was all that was left. The glow Yoko had seen was flames. The warehouse had gone up in flames, a body with it. Heiji and Conan had rushed to one of the firemen and found out.
   -The body is charred but we can still make out the colour of the blue clothing and the presence of a pair of glasses... Explained the man.  
   -But then... Ran began.
   -Yes, it's certainly Saori-san's body that's disappeared... finished the fireman.

   Kazuha and her friend looked frightened.
   -But then, the one we saw in the garden... began one of them.
   -It was a... a ghost... finished the other.
   If it had been a ghost, I'd have liked to take a photo of it...
   Yoko believed in ghosts. She was convinced they existed. Unfortunately for her, Conan would find an explanation for the ghost's appearance.
   Better not get your hopes up with detectives around...
   Mikoto's voice rang out. She was looking for Kimie.
   She's still not back?
   Yoko suppressed a tired yawn before looking around.
   Is it possible that...?

   -Is it? Thank you very much...
   Kogoro put down the phone as Yoko entered the room, rubbing her eyes. She had rested a little while waiting for the results of the victim's fingerprints. Heiji had offered to check that after a discussion with Conan.
   -What did he say? What did he tell you? asked the schoolgirl.
   -The dental impression of the charred body and that of Kimie-san are perfectly identical.
   ... What did he say? Wait a minute... What?!
   -No, no, no... Kimie-san... She's...
   Both students had tears in their eyes.
   -It can't be true... It can't be true! shouted a close friend of the victim.

   After several minutes, silence returned. Yoko sat outside the temple while the three high school students told Mikoto about Kimie's death. She didn't want to be there to tell her, not wanting to see the old woman's reaction. She preferred to listen to the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. It was easy to hear, the sea being nearby. Once the western detective had gone out with Conan, she got up and followed them.
   -And so... What did she think of the death of...
   She didn't finish her sentence and looked at her brother.
   -She prefers to be alone... She didn't even give me the answer I wanted...
   He let out a long sigh.
   You're questioning an old woman who's just lost her family... you're being logical...
   -Ran's not here? That's strange coming from her... asked the former high school student, looking around.
   -Isn't it?
   The young boy noticed his friend's absence.
   -I hope she hasn't got lost... he sighed.
   -I'll look for her if it makes you feel better.

   She left without waiting for an answer, heading off in time. As she walked through the corridors, she found the schoolgirl on the phone.
   -Ran-neechan... Yoko called.
   -Yoko-chan! What are you doing here?
   The teenager put down the phone she was holding.
   -Were you on the phone?
   I ask stupid questions sometimes... it's not like you can tell...
   -It's not like you can tell. It kept ringing... Do you know where dad and the others are? I've got to get a message to them!
   -Yes! I'll guide you if you like...
   That's all I know how to do anyway...
   Ran nodded and the girl with the glasses directed her towards Kogoro. Once there, she told him about the call.
   -The phone was ringing in the temple and as no-one was answering, I picked it up... but I was told something strange... "Thank you for giving me your arrow. It was worth a million yen. My son had a successful operation!"
   Someone sold an arrow?

   The two detectives were equally surprised, and Ran gave a few details. It had been sold on the morning of the festival by a tall, unshaven man.
   An unshaven man... Heiji's client's father doesn't fit that profile...
   Turning her gaze, she saw Heiji and Conan talking to each other.
   -Well, I'm off to the Amimoto house to see where the wake was being held... Ku... Sorry, sorry, sorry... Go to Benzō-san! Heiji announced as he ran off.