Chapter 111 - Words

-Yoko, did you call the police? Conan asked, going over to the young girl.
   -As I had little chance of being listened to, I left it to them....
   The victim's father was crying out his daughter's name.
   Let's hope she'll be okay...
   -Dad! I called the police. They said they couldn't come straight away because the sea was rough and they couldn't get me out of the boat! Ran explained to his father.
   -It's better that way! Because that means the murderer can't get away from here either. asserted Heiji.

   He pointed to a buoy and the bespectacled boy approached his friend.
   -Heiji-niichan and I found it on the bank of the river that runs from the waterfall to the sea! We asked the people on the island and they told us she wasn't there yesterday!
   -Putting Toshimi unconscious on a buoy, tying a code around her neck and making her follow the current of the river... anyone could have done that. We saw Toshimi at the temple two hours before her body was discovered during the fireworks. It takes less than an hour to get to the top of the waterfall and back... Which means that anyone could have done it, man or woman, and that the murderer is still on this island! Heiji announced, putting his cap forward.
   It's true, when you put it like that...
   Yoko thought a little, even though it was useless.
   I've already solved a couple of things by pure chance, but I'm not a detective...
   She sighed.

   Following Conan's request, the group found themselves in the old lady's house. Yoko looked around and then looked at all the photos taken. At the request of the detectives, she had taken some of the corpse before they went to untie it.
   I'll have to keep them until the police arrive, I suppose.
   The young girl ignored the conversation of the other people on the table.
   Suddenly, the door opened, revealing Mikoto, the creator of the arrows. She surprised everyone by not wearing her make-up. The former schoolgirl had been startled by the opening of the door, and even more by the old woman's appearance. She hadn't expected it.
   I really need to concentrate less on my photos now and then...
   She put her camera down on the table.

   -Is there anything I can do for you? ? Mikoto asked.
   -Erm... How do you choose the numbers of those who are going to win... ? asked Conan.
   -... At random! It's like the lottery!
   It seems logical to me...
   -You only give away three arrows a year... Why not more? It would be good for business... Heiji tried.
   -That's not possible... I wrap my hair in it and there aren't that many of them...
   It's yours...
   A voice was heard. Kimie's.
   -Obaa-san! Your bath is ready!
   -Well... If you're not here on important business, I'll go and take my bath and get some rest...

    Before the old woman left, she gave Kazuha a warning. She absolutely mustn't lose the arrow or she'd go back to being a mute mermaid.
   Oe oe... what nonsense...
   Yoko leaned against the table, puffing out her cheeks as the boys watched the Mikoto leave, criticising her.

   The next day, Kogoro, Conan, Ran, Yoko, Heiji and Kazuha went to the wake.
   I feel like I'm in over my head... I hope it goes well...
   After the names were written down, the bespectacled girl entered the main hall, accompanied by the others.
-Mouri-san! Have you all come? Kimie asked as she noticed them arrive.
   The man whispered in the woman's ear. After that, he noticed someone who hadn't shown up, even though she was registered. At the same time, an external light appeared, cut by a human form. Conan and Heiji rushed to the glass door, Yoko in tow. Outside, tied to a net, was the woman Kogoro had mentioned a few seconds earlier.
   This can't be... !