Chapter 46 - A Deadly Night

Yoko slept all day. The night before, she had been unable to sleep because of Conan answering questions. He hadn't turned off the light for this and it had disturbed the young girl.

   Arriving towards evening, she was woken by Ran to go and eat. The former schoolgirl took the time to get dressed and went into the dining room.
   -So... did you get your questionnaire corrected? asked the kid in glasses as she sat down in the chair next to Conan.
   -Did I?
   The boy hadn't seen her arrive.
   -No, he hadn't yet.
   -Don't tell me he's disappeared...
   -Don't talk about misfortune like that... ! Laughed the boy with the glasses, embarrassed.

   The meal went on normally. But some people were getting impatient with the absence of Kanaya-san, the owner of the boarding house where they were staying. And it was at midnight that one of them tore up his questionnaire out of patience.

   The minutes passed. There were only a few people left in the dining room. Yoko, unlike Hattori Heiji who was yawning, was not tired.
   How am I going to take care of serious... ?

   As two other people went to bed, one of them noticed the owner's car outside. The bespectacled girl approached the window, followed by the two high-school detectives.
   -But...
   -He's heading for the cliff...
   the two people remarked. Heiji and Conan jumped out of the window, heading for the car.
   -Wait for me!
   Yoko jumped out of the window and started running. The car was on the edge of the cliff.
   There's nothing the boys can do about it this time... !

   She stopped, seeing the car fall and explode. She immediately touched her forehead.
  Silly girl! It's not every day you get caught up in an explosion!
   It was only a few weeks ago that the young girl had found a member of the organisation, killed in an explosion. When she followed him, she found herself injured.
   What's more, this isn't a bomb! And that's all in the past!
   She let out a smile. Then she moved closer to the boys.

   Everyone had gathered around the edge of the cliff, asking what had happened. Kogoro thought it was suicide, but someone else thought it was murder.
   Ran was carrying Yoko. She was hugging her, looking very sad.
   -Ran-neechan?
   -What is it, Yoko-chan?
   -Can I join Conan? I'd like to help him and the detective find what they're looking for!
   -How about that? Haaa! Conan-kun!

   She put the brown-eyed girl down and moved closer to the child.
   I should have kept my mouth shut... so far I haven't been very nice... maybe I should help Conan out...
   The little girl walked over to the boy after Ran had scolded her.
   -Need help with anything? she asked.
   -No, it's fine...
   Yoko looked at Hattori Heiji, who was thinking.
   -Be careful with him...
   -Don't worry!
   The young girl shoved her hands into her pockets as she returned to the building.

   Yoko pulled up a chair, as several people had done before her. The little brunette had just returned from the toilets. She placed the folder in front of her, crossing her arms over it.
   -What do we do now, Conan?
   There was no way of notifying the police. The phones that had been entrusted to the owner had been destroyed. What's more, there was no car. And the surveillance cameras that were all over the house were fake.

   Conan didn't answer the girl.
   -Said? Isn't anyone missing?
   -Is there? Ah! You mean Ayako-san... she said she was going to the toilet... we're waiting for her to tell us who the murderer is...
   -Haa?
   The kid with the glasses tipped her chair forward a little.
   -But I didn't see him when I went...
   -What's that?
   -I went there a bit before you came here... So logically I should have bumped into her.

   The former high school student looked at his 'sister'. Just then, a noise was heard. Everyone rushed into the room where it had come from. The garage. And the garage was on fire.
   -No! It can't be! Kogoro almost shouted
   -We've got to stop that fire... otherwise the book will... The book's going to..! shouted one of the people
   What book?
   -I've got to go and warn Ayako! She's probably still in the toilet! panicked the person who was hanging around with the missing girl
    -She's not there! I didn't see her! Yoko shouted at the man still hanging around
   -Either she's in one of the bedrooms..." began Conan, looking sombre. Or she's in the garage...

Detective Yoko - The White Dove 『Detective Conan』जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें