Chapter 62 - A new student

Investigations came and went. Yoko was more or less involved. When there wasn't a murder, she simply went to school, played with the Detective Boys, took photos...
   She wasn't the best pupil, and didn't really want to work, seeing as she already knew everything they were learning. Conan forced the young girl to make an effort, but she didn't want more than that. On the other hand, when it came to helping those in the class, she did.

   That morning, the former schoolgirl was woken by Conan. They were going to be late.
   Shit... I fell asleep again...
   She got up quickly and put on her usual light blue jacket. She grabbed her bag and quickly went down the stairs. She didn't even take the time to eat breakfast.

   Yoko threw her bag on the floor and sank down on her desk as soon as she arrived in the classroom. She crossed her arms and put her head forward. She'd spent most of the night sorting through her photos. But the hubbub in the classroom was keeping her awake. And the conversation of the children next to her was much more interesting.
   -Did you hear that?! They say there's going to be a new pupil in this class today! That's what Kobayashi-sensei said in the canteen earlier! Ayumi exclaimed

   Kobayashi was the children's teacher. She had arrived recently, before the affair with Kaito Kid. At the beginning, the Detective Boys had discovered that she was much nicer, and that her behaviour was due to her old school.

   -The last time that happened was with the twins! says Mitsuhiko
   -It would be nice if she was a pretty girl! I hope she won't be a tomboy like Yoko!
   Genta's words didn't please her all that much.
   -What do you care if I'm a tomboy?
   -Yoko-chan! What do you think the new pupil will be like? Ayumi asked, still excited
   -Well... He's just a new pupil... well... I'll see when he arrives...
   The brunette with glasses lay back down on her table, putting her arms in such a way as to limit the noise. She was still listening to the conversation. The little headstrong zu explained what she had heard. Apparently her name was Haibara. Most of the group laughed at Conan's first name, after the freckled boy remarked that the new boy's name was unusual.
   If they knew he'd made it up from the books in his library... At least I'm more inconspicuous with Yoko...

   She raised her head as she heard the door open. A girl with red hair, dressed very simply, entered the classroom and stood facing everyone.
   She's so cute... !
   The whole class agreed.

   Kobayashi wrote her name on the board: Haibara Ai. Then she asked him to find a seat. Genta called out to her to take a seat next to him, but she ignored him and moved to Conan's side.
   Yoko tipped her chair back, having turned round a little. Since their arrival, the two younger students had changed places, and the brunette found herself in front of Conan, against the wall of the classroom.
   -Welcome...
   The girl with the glasses said softly. She had no answer.
   She doesn't look very nice...
   Then she let her chair settle back into place, the one if slamming her front feet into the floor. Finally, she put her head back in her arms, finally falling asleep.

   Several times in the afternoon, she was woken by the teacher to give an answer to an exercise.
   Please let me sleep Sensei... !
  -Edogawa-san ! Could you please write?
   There she goes in her stern tone!
   -Don't worry! I'll write... yawned the young girl
   She looked at the board, catching up on what she had to catch up on. Then she turned quickly to the new girl.
   -How are you getting on? Can you keep up? asked the girl with the glasses, smiling.
   She couldn't get any answer.