Chapter 40 - A Hidden Body

The lift rose, the children hiding behind Conan, Yoko rising to her feet. On the roof of the lift, a corpse. As he explained how the man had been killed, the lift continued to rise.
   -Behind you! shouted the girl with the hair tied back.
   The boy turned, seeing the lift manager. He smiled as he walked towards the children, who were backing away.
   -What are you doing here at this time of night? Come with me, I'll take you home!
   I've got to keep calm... I've been through worse... !

   Yoko took heart from the look Gin had given her when she met him. That way, she could concentrate on what Conan was saying. 
   I've been through a lot scarier... !
   Conan explained that he was going to distract the murderer while the rest went into the lift.
   -Hey, just because we're kids doesn't mean we should underestimate ourselves! said the kid in glasses, which launched the beginning of her plan.

   Yoko gently pushed the children towards the lift. Once inside, she looked at the 2 rows of buttons indicating how few floors there were.
   -Which floor should we go to? Ayumi asked.
   -We're going back to our starting point! announced the girl with the glasses, while pressing a button to go to the floor below.
   As the machine began to descend, Conan slipped inside.

   -Yoko, can you barricade the door with the chairs and tables?
   The group was back in the children's section. With the help of Genta and Mitsuhiko, Conan was moving the bookcases. He asked the two girls to put the rest of the furniture in front of the door.
   When he had finished, the boy in glasses asked his 'sister' to go and attract the museum director.
   Either he trusts me too much, or he wants me dead!

   Yoko stopped herself laughing a little, climbing over the tables and chairs to get out. Then, once in the corridor, she made a noise, like throwing a book down the stairs. There was the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs.
   I'd better get out of here!
   The young girl waited until she was in the man's field of vision before going into the room. The criminal entered in his turn. The bespectacled girl had taken refuge behind one of the bookcases, bent over by a book. And when the man came near, she stood to one side and, with the help of her comrades, pushed the piece of furniture, which acted like a domino. The museum director was crushed by it. The children's cry of victory echoed through the museum.

   The police were alerted and the man arrested. Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko were all excited, wanting to do it all over again.
   I'm tired... how can they not be?
   Yoko yawned.
    -Come on, hello! greeted Conan loudly, running over.
   -Hey, wait for me! Well, see you later!
   The former high school student tried to catch up, almost falling. She finally stopped, out of breath, in front of the detective agency.
   I've run everywhere already... why is he so cruel to me...

   But no sooner had she caught her breath than the boy was already outside.
   -You can wait for me in the future! she shouted, grabbing the former school detective's shoulder. I've run everywhere already! I can't take it any more!
   -I'm so sorry! Thanks for earlier.
   -Where are you going now, with that alcohol?
   -I'm going to Hakase's, so I can get my looks back!
   Will it at least work... should I go with him to try it too...? ?
   -Well, are you coming? Conan asked finally
    -If I go back on my own, Ran will ask questions... I'll have to go with you... but I'm sick of running around!

   There was silence.
   -Considering how exhausted you are, you'd better stay here.
   -You'd better not drink it all! If that's what's going to make you look better, I'm going to need it! I'll find an excuse with Ran...
   Conan nodded and walked away. Once alone, the young girl dropped to the ground.
   -I'm more than fed up... ! I want to sleep...
   She got to her feet with the help of the banister, and made her way to the top of the stairs. She opened the door, went into the detective's daughter's bedroom, and dropped to the floor. Or rather, on her bed. She fell asleep fairly quickly.