Chapter 33 - The Detective of the West

Yoko was in Ran's room, the room she'd been occupying since she arrived. She put down her bag and took the detective's badge from her jacket to put it away.
   A few weeks earlier, Agasa had created badges that could be used to communicate. Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko had decided to form a group called "Detective Boy", including Conan and Yoko. And this badge was given to each member of their team.

   The young girl went down the stairs to the agency's office. She was about to open the door when she spotted someone coming up the stairs. He was dark-skinned, carrying a bag and wearing a cap. Yoko entered the office, leaving the door open.
   -Ran-neechan! Someone's here! she announced, moving towards the sofa.
   Ran looked at the little girl before hanging up.

   The person knocked on the door.
   -Is that guy who claims to be better than me here?
   The Osaka accent...
   Kogoro, who was half asleep on the table, sat up. There was a moment's silence.
   -Who was it? Ran finally asked
   -That detective... Kudo Shinichi! Where is he?!
   ... Why is he looking for him?
   Yoko looked at the newcomer, who was starting to get annoyed.
   -I know you know where he is! he shouted.
   It's always in this kind of situation that Conan is never there...
   -By the way! Who are you? asked Yoko, trying to turn the conversation elsewhere
   The person turned towards the girl in glasses, looking at her. He moved closer, lowering himself to her level.
   -Does she live with you?
   Ran nodded.
   -Is that detective here?
   -No!" replied the child immediately.

   A sneeze was heard at the front door.
   -You've come back, Conan!
   Ran moved closer to the boy, noticing that he had a cold. Just like Shinichi. Yoko got up from the sofa and walked towards the stranger who had moved away from her. He was telling her about the telephone conversations between her and the detective.
   -You still haven't introduced yourself! shouted the girl with the glasses, puffing out her cheeks
   -Oh, that's right! I'm Hattori Heiji! Like Kudo, I'm a high school detective!
   Kogoro and Ran were astonished.
   I've already heard of him...
   Conan sneezed again. Yoko moved away from him, hoping he wouldn't give her a cold, as she watched the detective take out a bottle and pour the liquid into a glass. He gave it to the boy who, after drinking it all, began to lose his balance. We soon learned that it was alcohol, Baikal to be precise. The girl had to stop herself laughing.

   A lady knocked on the door, grumbled at the welcome, then explained that she didn't have all day. She then explained her problem. She wanted an investigation into her son's girlfriend. She showed a photo, explaining that it seemed too perfect to her, and that it must be hiding something.
   Just say you're jealous... it'll be quicker...
    Yoko turned her gaze to Conan, who was asking to accompany Kogoro and the Osaka detective. She moved closer to him and put her hand on the bespectacled boy's forehead.
   -But you're burning up! Are you sure you don't want to stay here?
   -Do you think I can leave this detective unsupervised? he said breathlessly
   -I can keep an eye on him, you know... So if you're not feeling well, let me know!
   -It should be fine... it's only a cold!

   The young girl wasn't convinced. She was about to say something when Ran called the two children. Yoko asked them to go into the bedroom and get something, indicating to Conan that it was the detective's badge. She intended to use it so that Conan could listen in on conversations while he rested.

   -Conan's the first to tell us to be careful, but he's not! Yoko grumbled, looking for her name tag.
   Her cheeks were puffy, and she was fumbling in her bag. She'd got used to being with Conan all the time, but certain aspects of his personality were getting on her nerves.
   -Well... at least I'm here to keep an eye on him! She said as she stuffed the object she was looking for into her pocket, before leaving the room.