Chapter 74: Time's Up

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗
"I didn't say, "I love you" to hear it back. I said it to make sure you knew."
╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝

What could have been the best answer to Raymond's question?

Ray continued to wander as they drove quietly back to the city after spending time on the beach, watching the fire burning on the bonfire in front of them as the flames between the two Rays continued fueling.

She didn't answer his question, she didn't even open her mouth to at least try and say anything since she was afraid that once she opened her mouth, she would say something that would ruin her loyalty to Randy.

But was she ever loyal to him in the first place?

Ray knocked her head against the window and closed her eyes to gather her train of thought. She wanted to scream and hurt herself to wake her up from her sanity as they drove quietly. The silence was killing her and his heavy breathing was triggering her, but she shut her mouth even before she could mutter one single word.

"Hey, I'm sorry," she hears him say, making her look at him.

"Sorry for what?" mumbling, she asks back.

Raymond glanced at her and then sighed. "For making you uncomfortable." Then he sighed again. "I don't know what's gotten into me, so please just ignore what I said at the beach."

Ray Mond looked away again and inhaled sharply. "Yeah," she replied quietly. "I think it's best to forget everything," she told him while also telling herself.

He looked at her when he noticed how quiet her voice was, but he didn't say anything and just continued driving along the silent road. The silence looming inside the car was ignored by how loud Ray's heartbeat was inside her chest, but she chose to ignore it for their own good and leaned her head against the window instead.

The short drive felt like hours since Ray didn't want to stay inside his bubble anymore, terrified that she would just throw everything she had with Randy just because she felt something with Raymond.

Besides, it wouldn't make sense to instantly fall for him in just two nights of hanging out, would it?

"We're here," Raymond said when they reached Ray's building. He turned his head to face her and saw Ray quickly unbuckling her seatbelt as if she didn't want to stay with him any longer. Raymond's eyes fell from Ray's eyes to her hands, his eyebrows furrowed when he noticed the ring on her finger while she fumbled the seatbelt. Then his eyes went back to Ray's after she unbuckled the strap that was stopping her from moving, and she opened the door without saying anything before exiting the car.

"Wait!" Raymond quipped when he got out of his car, stopping her from entering her apartment lobby.

"Are you... are you already seeing someone?"