Chapter 20: Closer

Randy

Randy

"Thanks, Randy." Ray smiled at me as we entered her apartment. I dropped off her luggage and smiled back. "You're not staying?" she asked when I was about to leave.

"Nah. I have a job with the boys," I said as I put both of my hands in my pocket. "Do you have plans today?" I asked.

"No. I think I'm just going to sleep all day," she said and let out a chuckle. "What are you doing after?" she asked.

"I don't know. It depends, but if you want to hang out, just let me know." I looked around her apartment to check if April was looking and walked towards her when the coast was clear. Leaning down, I planted a kiss on her head. "For luck." I let out a chuckle when she looked at me in confusion. I squeezed her hand and nodded my head. "I'll see you later, aight? Just call me if you need anything," I reminded her. I know she hates when I say that, but I just got used to it. I got used to people only calling me for favors, and not asking how my day went.

Not with Ray, though. Because she always checks in on me and updates me even if I don't ask her to. It was as if I was part of her daily routine, and honestly? It feels nice knowing that someone is waiting for you after your long, tiring day. That's why I was exhausting myself when she left for months. I mean, what was the point of stopping when no one was waiting for you?

I shook my head in disbelief when Ray squeezed my hand, keeping me distracted from my own thoughts. "Are you okay?" she asked. She was always the observant one and I hate that she sees through me.

"Yeah, I'm alright." I smiled at her to assure her. Knowing her, it'll just worry her if she thinks that I am not okay. She just raised a brow at me and eyed me suspiciously, making me laugh. I pulled her to me and wrapped my arms around her shoulder. She was much shorter than me and it looked like I was hugging her neck. "Stop worrying, I'm good," I assured her.

"Really?" She looked up at me and perked her lips. I just brushed my finger on the tip of her nose as I let out a chuckle. "Call me if you need anything," she said and giggled.

"Nice, man. Copying my words." She just smiled at me in return. My brows furrowed when she ran her fingers through my hair, making me laugh. "For what reason?" I cackled.

"I'm just curious," she said as she touched my face. "Good luck with your job." She gave me a smile, the one that finally reached her eyes.

"Thank you." I nodded my head and hugged her tight as I kissed her again. "I'll see you later," I said before I let her go. The very familiar warmth was now gone the moment I let her go.

"Okay." She smiled at me.

*clears throat*

Ray and I both turned our heads toward our redheaded friend and saw her glaring at us. "What did I just witness, guys?" she asked as she looked at us.

"Uhh...." I trailed off. I patted Ray's back and turned around. "Good luck, Ray," I said and let out a laugh as I ran away from them. I immediately shut the door close before April followed me. She would just ask me questions that I didn't want to answer, and Ray was assigned to that since April was her best friend.