Chapter 11: Hungover

The next day

The next day...

"Happy Birthday!"

"Happy Birthday, April!"

Ray watched everyone as they gathered around April, greeting her and giving her gifts for her birthday while sitting on the bar stool. She looked around the venue, with a martini in her hand, waiting for someone familiar to come.

"Hi."

She turned her head to her left and there Ray saw a guy wearing nothing but black swimming trunks. Ray doesn't know how April thought of letting her guests wear bikinis, but hey, it's April. Being crazy is her normal.

"Hi?"

Ray snapped back to her senses when the guy spoke again. "Oh, sorry, I was just thinking about something." She put the glass she was holding on top of the bar counter and looked at him. "Can I help you?" Ray asked the guy.

"I'm new in the city and someone just invited me here." He walked closer to her and showed her his phone. "I think I'm lost. I was just looking for somewhere, but I found my way to you instead," he said and then smiled at the dark-haired woman.

She looked at him with confused eyes, her mind was beyond belief when she finally understood what he said. "You are smooth, aren't you?" She smiled sheepishly and grabbed his phone from his hands and typed her own number. "What's your name?" she asked before taking a sip of her martini.

"My name's Connor," he said as he sat beside Ray. "What's yours?" he asked her this time.

"My name is Ray Mond. First name Ray, last name Mond. I know there's a lot of Rays in the city, but I'm the only female Ray," the woman said.

Connor chuckled. "That's a long name. Can I just call you 'mine'?" he asked, smiling widely at her.

"Hah!" She scoffed. "Just call me Ray," she just said.

This guy is smooth, she thought in her head.

He nodded his head and looked at the bartender in front of them. "Okay, then, can I just buy you another drink?" he asked.

"I would want another martini," she said, tilting her head to the side as she studied the guy's face in front of her.

"What?" the guy asked when he noticed Ray staring at him.

"Your eyes. It reminds me of someone I know," she said, still looking at Connor, noticing the greenish-brown eyes that the guy had. She fixed herself when the guy smiled at her, who she was staring at intently, and looked away. "Do you personally know the celebrant?" Ray asked before sipping the martini that Connor bought for her.

"No. I literally just came here a few hours ago," the guy said, chuckling and scratching the back of his head shyly.

"Really?" She looked at him. "Did you at least bring her a gift?" She chuckled.