36:Almost There

INT. HELICARRIER DETENTION SECTION - NIGHT

Loki walks back and forth inside his glass cell. Suddenly, he stops.

LOKI: There's not many people that can sneak up on me. (turns to see NATASHA STANDING THERE)

NATASHA: But you figured I'd come.

LOKI: After. After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate.

NATASHA: I wanna know what you've done to Agent Barton.

LOKI: I'd say I've expanded his mind.

NATASHA: And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?

LOKI: Is this love, Agent Romanoff?

NATASHA: Love is for children. I owe him a debt.

LOKI: (SITTING DOWN) Tell me.

NATASHA: (she pulls up a chair as WELL) Before I worked for SHIELD, I uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skillset. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call.

LOKI: And what will you do if I vow to spare him?

NATASHA: Not let you out.

LOKI: (Laughs) Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?

NATASHA: Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian... or was.

LOKI: What is it you want?

NATASHA: It's really not that complicated. I've got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out.

LOKI: Can you? Can you wipe out that much red? DRAKOV'S daughter? SÃO PAULO? THE HOSPITAL FIRE? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping, it's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything? (STANDING; ANGRY) This is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer... PATHETIC!

INTERCUTS - Tony Gwen and Banner continuously work at their monitors.

LOKI (V.O.): You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers.

Agent Hill checks every VIEWSCREEN in the bridge. Fury oversees.

LOKI (V.O.) You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away!

Steve opens a Steel crate. Angry, he looks behind him and looks back into the crate. The Crate Is Filled With An Array Of Hydra Weapons.

INT. HELICARRIER DETENTION SECTION - NIGHT

Loki SLAMS his cell, making Natasha FLINCH.

LOKI: I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you! Slowly. Intimately. In every way he knows you fear! And when he'll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams, I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!

NATASHA turns around, walks away from Loki, disgusted.

NATASHA: (Quietly; Distraught) You're a monster.

LOKI: (Laughs) No, you brought the monster.

NATASHA: (turns back around; poised) So, Banner... that's your play.

LOKI: (Staggered) What?

NATASHA: (On Earpiece) Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab, I'm on my way. Send Thor and Ben as well. (To Loki) Thank you for your cooperation.