175: I don't know how

June 24th - Prompt: I can only imagine

---------

"Peter?"

Peter looked up from where he had been leaning against a tree, smiling weakly when he saw Susan walking towards him. "Hey." He breathed.

Susan was quiet for a while before she took a deep breath. "Did you go in to see him?" She asked.

Peter hesitantly nodded. "I did." He murmured.

"Is he okay?"

Peter bit his lip. "Injured, tired, sore..." He said slowly. "So not really."

Susan took a deep breath and slowly nodded. "He'll be okay with time." She reassured him. "He just needs to sleep and rest and he'll be better in no time, I promise."

Peter stared at her for a moment or two before swallowing hard. "I can only imagine what she did to him." He all but whispered. "He won't talk to me about it, no matter how much I asked."

"It was clearly very traumatic." Susan said softly. "If he doesn't want to talk about it he doesn't have to."

"I know." Peter said quickly. "I just wish I knew."

Susan hesitated. "You haven't forgiven him though, have you?" She asked, her voice sad and quiet.

Peter looked away, not saying anything but clearly getting his point across.

"Why not?" Susan sighed. "You know he's sorry, you know what he's been through, you know he'd never do it again. So why?"

Peter swallowed hard. "I - I don't know how." He choked, shaking his head. "I - I can't."

Susan's face fell, and she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "You will, in time." She told him. "I know you well enough to know you won't hold this against him forever."

Peter ran a hand through his hair. "What happened to the two of us Su?" He asked. "Me and Ed used to be so close."

Susan's heart broke a little. "You'll get that bond back." She said firmly. "Trust me, you will."

Peter turned his head to look at her, but didn't say anything in reply until he took a deep breath. "I'm going - going back to sit with him." He murmured.

"He's asleep?" Susan asked.

Peter nodded. "Yeah, and I don't think he'll be waking up anytime soon." He breathed. "I'll see you later?"

Susan nodded slowly, a small, sad smile on her face. "See you later."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆