137: I've got nothing better to do

May 17th - Prompt: Kings and Queens

----------

For all you non British people, this is set a year before they all die, Edmund is 18 which is why he's at University :)

----------

"Right," Peter breathed. "I'm off to work."

Edmund glanced up. "Today?" He asked. "Come on Peter, I only got back yesterday."

Peter gave him a small smile. "I know, I did want to spend the day with you, but I've got to cover someone's shift." He said.

He worked at a small cafe just down the road, and had tried to get the day off seeming as Edmund had just got back from university for the summer after a good few months, but he'd ended up having to work, which definitely annoyed him.

"Alright." Edmund sighed. "But you owe me one."

Peter chuckled. "We'll go for a kick about at the park this evening yeah?" He suggested. "I finish at four."

Edmund smiled and nodded. "Sounds good." He murmured, "You working alone?"

Peter stared at him for a moment. "Yeah, just me." He breathed. "And we're probably gonna be dead today, so I'm going to be so bored." He laughed, before heading for the door. "See you later."

Edmund smiled. "See ya."

☆☆☆

About an hour later, Edmund was heading down the road towards the small cafe, a small smile on his face as he went.

He had nothing else to do really, and after all, he did fancy a coffee.

He eventually reached the building, pushing open the door and hearing the little bell ring as he stepped inside.

He easily spotted Peter, as he was currently wiping down one of the tables, although he looked up when the door opened.

He stared at Edmund for a moment, before smirking and heading around to stand behind the counter, placing the cloth back where it belonged before turning to his brother. "Anything I can get you?" He asked.

Edmund glanced up at the small menu for a second, before looking back down at Peter. "Just a coffee I think." He said, handing over a few coins. "Make yourself a tea too."

Peter took the coins, smiling at his brother as he went to grab the coffee. "What you doing here?" He asked as he worked.

Edmund shrugged. "I've got nothing better to do." He said. "What with Susan out and about and Lucy still at school, Mum's at work too so I was bored."

"Well if you've come here to be entertained you may of had the wrong idea." Peter chuckled. "I've only had one customer before you, so it's not very lively here at the moment."

Edmund smiled. "At least you're not rushed off your feet." He said. "Easy shifts are the best."

Peter shrugged. "I'd like at least something to do." He said, grabbing a tea bag.

"Clean?" Edmund suggested.

"There's nothing too clean." Peter told him.

Edmund smiled. "Well seeming as there's no one here, you can come and sit down with me and we can talk" He told him.

"Talk?" Peter said, raising an eyebrow.

Edmund shrugged. "Perhaps I want to know what you've been up to whilst I've been at University." He said with a smirk.

"Well that's good, because I wanna know how your first year in a whole was." Peter said with a small grin, finishing off the drinks.

Edmund took his coffee, walking over to sit at the nearest table, Peter following behind. "If someone comes in just bare with me for a sec." He warned.

Edmund nodded. "Don't worry." He chuckled gently.

"So." Peter breathed, sitting down opposite his brother. "How was your first year?"

Edmund thought for a moment. "Some bits were boring, some bits were fun." He said slowly. "So all in all not bad."

"And you're excelling in everything?" Peter asked, a knowing smile on his face.

Edmund went slightly red.

Peter laughed. "There's no shame in being incredibly smart Ed." He teased. "Especially in University."

Edmund smiled a little. "What have you been up to then?" He asked.

Peter shrugged. "Working." He breathed. "Gosh life was so much better in Narnia, I never had to serve coffees at Cair Paravel."

Edmund went to laugh, but sighed instead. "No matter what we're all Kings and Queens of Narnia still Pete." He told him gently.

Peter nodded a little. "I know that." He murmured softly. "I wish Susan did though."

Edmund sighed. "She still not believing?" He guessed.

Peter shook his head. "She's gotten worse since the Easter when you were last home." He sighed. "She hardly talks to us, she's always out, at parties or with friends, she's even started hanging around with this boy-"

Edmund took a deep breath. "You know what he's like?" He asked.

Peter hesitated. "He seems alright." He sighed. "But I just don't like any of it."

Edmund nodded. "Neither do I." He paused to take a sip of his drink, before sighing. "But nothing we do is gonna make her remember again."

Peter bit his lip. "I know." He mumbled.

Edmund gave him a weak smile. "Everything will be alright in the end Pete." He told him gently.

Peter gave him a small smile back, taking a deep, shaky breath. "I really hope you're right."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆