138: You'll be home before you know it

May 18th - This is not goodbye

----------

"Mum?"

Helen glanced up from where she was busy making dinner, placing down the knife when she spotted Peter stood in the doorway. "You all packed?" She asked slowly, her voice shaking just the slightest bit.

Peter nodded a little. "Yeah." He whispered.

"And the others?"

"Edmund's just finishing." Peter told her. "Don't know about the girls."

Helen smiled at him, before turning back to chopping the carrots.

Peter bit his lip, before walking over and hugging her, burying his face agaisnt her shoulder.

Helen took a shaky breath, before abandoning her task and pulling her son close. "This isn't goodbye Peter." She said softly. "You'll be home again before you know it."

Peter swallowed hard. "I - I know." He murmured. "I'm just gonna miss you."

Helen closed her eyes. "I'll miss you too." She breathed. "But you are going to have so much fun okay?"

Peter nodded a little, and quickly pulled away when he heard someone coming down the stairs.

Helen watched him as he wiped at his eyes and stood up straight, his face changing from upset to normal in the space of a second, and the fact that he could change emotions that quick scared her.

Peter had always hidden his emotions from his siblings, at least when he was sad. He never cried in front of them for one, sometimes he'd act a little down, but definitely not enough to worry anyone, he was good and burying his feelings, and Helen was worried that one day it would become too much, especially with everything going on.

She went to say something to him, but didn't have time before Edmund walked into the kitchen, not looking happy at all. "Do we have to go?" He asked.

Helen nodded. "It'll be safe in the country." She told him.

"The country's boring." Edmund grumbled.

"I'm sure you'll have fun." Helen said. "There are plenty of things to do, trust me."

Edmund stared at her for a while before he sat at the table, resting his chin in his hands and staring out the window.

Helen took this opportunity to turn to her eldest son, who turned to her at the same time. "You okay?" She mouthed, looking concerned.

Peter took a deep breath, before he smiled at her, nodding his head and seeming genuine. "Yeah." He whispered, before he headed out the room and upstairs to see if Lucy and Susan were finished packing.

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆